Removing rhythm curcuit.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Removing rhythm curcuit.

Post by Bronco Billy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:26 am

Hi guys,

I have a new vintage Jazz-/partsmaster on the way.

I'm thinking about experimenting with leaving out the rythm curcuit and the bathtubs shields(and use shielding tape), to see if it would make a difference in weight.

Any thoughts on what tonal differences it does not having it in?

I took the neck and pickguard from my white 59' partsmaster and dropped into the "new" body.

I know it might seem silly trying to gain a few hundrede grams. But right now assembled the guitar weighs about 3790g = 8,35lbs. With my padded strap the guitar is about 4kg = 8,8lbs.

Which I think is to the heavy side. With the other body(59' refin) I have the guitar weighs 3650g = 8,05lbs. And I think I can feel a difference in weight.

I weighed the pickguard with pickups as I moved it, and it was about 600grams(1,3lbs) with pickups. If I loose the rhythm curcuit and the bathtub I guess it must be at least a few 100-200grams.

I know it might seem silly, but it could be a fun expreriment, but I just wanted to hear if anyone had tried it?

And does it affect the sound that the neck pickup isn't connected to the to 50k pots?

(I tried to search about this topic but couldn't seem to find anything)

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Removing rhythm curcuit.

Post by jorri » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:44 am

the difference of a few inches wire and a switch which is a direct connection-the neck pickup only is connected to the pots when you switch over to rhythm which i think might be the misunderstanding, but it does go through longer than usual wire by 2 or 3 times at least.
maybe less noise noise, less capacitance so potentially like having shorter cables...but very minor i'd say, practically non-existant especially if you've shielded everything already, but wont only be a positive if there's a change at all..

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:03 am

Most of the weight difference if probably just due to different bodies. The brass will take off some weight, but probably not a lot.

The rhythm circuit being disconnected is not something I've ever done - I like having the option. I've read similar to above, that it's not a huge difference tonally one way or another - maybe a touch brighter without due to less wire and circuitry - but that might be a head game - the rhythm switch bpyasses its circuitry when not engaged...
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:28 am

Thx for the feedback, it sounds like I'll try it out!
kosmonautmayhem wrote:Most of the weight difference if probably just due to different bodies. The brass will take off some weight, but probably not a lot.
Yeah, I know there's a difference because of the bodies. Apparently only about 100g, but I'm pretty confident there is a noticeable difference.

But I'm that's why I'm thinking of a way to relieve the new one, hence it's the "heaviest" one. Original sunburst alder body. It's pretty normal JM weight, but I'm a skinny dude with alot of 3 hour gigs. So the lighter the better!

I think the 2 pots and the brace might be good a couple 100grams with the the big bathtub out as well!

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:37 am

It's worth a shot. I've never found JMs heavy, but then again I'm playing 3hr gigs. You could practice using a Les Paul... :P :fp:

You might want to check out a new replacement body made from super light wood....
I know it's blasphemous to someone with a vintage body, but might be the trick if weight is really an issue.

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:It's worth a shot. I've never found JMs heavy, but then again I'm playing 3hr gigs. You could practice using a Les Paul...

You might want to check out a new replacement body made from super light wood....
I know it's blasphemous to someone with a vintage body, but might be the trick if weight is really an issue.
I just bought this body with the pat pend trem, and nothing else. I might think it's one of the early thicker versions. Event though it came with a 60's neck and 61' pots. And then again it's routed for tortoise.

It's not an big issue, I just wanted to try it out. :)

Maybe I'm just busted in my body carrying around my 3 months old 5,7kg son :)

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Don't worry, you'll build up your stamina and upper body mass. You'll become dad-strong!

I doubt it's a thicker body. Some JMs are just on the heavier side of 8lbs.

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:14 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:Don't worry, you'll build up your stamina and upper body mass. You'll become dad-strong!

I doubt it's a thicker body. Some JMs are just on the heavier side of 8lbs.
I measured it, and I think it's 42mm. My refin and a 1960 original sunburst my friend has is 40mm.

It's also a quartersawn neck, I don't know if it's heavier than flat sawn. It's 700g with tuners. (I really had my weight going assembling it).

I just took everything from the white 59' and put over on it.

Yeah, I'll hopefully be daddy-strong. I need to stop playing my 68' es-330. It's under 6,5lbs.