People who are clued up help me with wiring?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Kylef
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

People who are clued up help me with wiring?

Post by Kylef » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:26 am

I've wired a Johnny Marr before, but no a full jag. I'm unsure of a few things since the diagrams I was using are iffy.

I'm not using brass plates, however I have used copper shielding. Do I use the shielding in the same way as plates, and connect them all with wire and wire them to the ground (wire from bridge thimble)? I have connected most of the grounds to the one area of the shielding, including the pickups. Should I ground the pickups to the tone pot?

Also, I am not sure on the rhythm circuit. The cap and the wire have to be soldered to ground..I've soldered them to the back of the tone pot, is this correct or should I be doing something different? Although I am getting sound, the ground noise is bad. The volume pot isn't working properly either but I will go back and check that. Some of the shielding is overlapping and touching the control plates, I am guessing I will have to trim these too?

Any help appreciated. I know that a picture tells 1000 words so I've snapped a few shots

morganp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: People who are clued up help me with wiring?

Post by morganp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:22 pm

Hard to tell exactly from the photos, but it looks to me like the leads at the output jack are reversed? Usually black is ground and goes to the sleeve connection, and the hot goes to the tip. Maybe I'm seeing the jack wrong, or maybe you've chosen different colors, but your description of "noisy ground" could potentially jibe with these being reversed. Can you tell me where the other end of that black one is connected to?

Ideally, you want only one path to ground for each component. Multiple paths to ground can create extra noise from ground loops, and other problems. Maintaining just one path is hard to do when shielding, especially with a complex setup like a jag. But I try to make sure there is a clear path for each bit all the way to the ground at the jack. It's possible for this path to be along a bit of shielding, or along a metal control plate, but these can sometimes be inferior to an actual ground wire, because you can't always be sure the shielding or control plate is making as good a connection as you want.

Like, ok, so, look at the back of the tone pot for the lower circuit. You've got the cap soldered there, as a path to ground. How does it get to ground from there? Often we'll put a wire from the back of the tone pot (a common and convenient spot to run all the ground wires to, including pickup grounds, and a better connection than just shielding) to the jack's sleeve terminal. Technically, you've got a path to ground from the cap's leg to the tone pot housing, and then through the physical connection of the pot being screwed to the control plate, and then from the control plate to the jack's housing; in practice this can be a little iffy depending on the washers, what kind of jack you're using, etc, but usually works for a metal control plate. But sometimes it's more clear-cut to just run an actual ground wire at those spots, ie, tone pot housing to jack sleeve.

Another problem that can occur is the shielding making contact in a spot where you don't want it; if you've got a hot lead that accidentally comes in contact with the shielding, it can short around that component or, more likely, send all of your signal to ground. So make sure none of those hot leads touch the shielding anywhere.

Also, it looks like the solder joints on the pot backs are a little iffy; a hotter iron (applied for not too long) can work a little better, but we don't all have a good one (I for one definitely need a better iron). If you've got a multimeter, you can check for continuity to make sure all the connections are good; any that are splotchy or hazy might be a cold joint.

Hm, I can't tell if there's a path from the upper circuit's ground (looks like you're using the back of the tone pot here as the ground hub) to the jack. Multimeters are great for this too; just check that there's a low resistance (but not noresistance) between that upper circuit and the jack's sleeve connection.

Anyway, yeah, jags are pretty busy in there. To recap: in general, make sure solder joints are solid, make sure you have a clear path to ground, make sure the hot signal isn't touching the shielding anywhere. And for this guitar, check that your jack connections aren't reversed. Report back, and...

Good luck!

Edit: oh yeah, as far as the shielding overlapping the control plates: as long as it's not in danger of contacting a hot lead or terminal, I'd say leave it; often that's how folks make that ground connection for shields, is just letting them contact the plate and get grounded through that, so, shield touches plate touches pot housing touches ground wire to jack. And then your shields are grounded! Again, use a multimeter to check continuity.

V_____
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: People who are clued up help me with wiring?

Post by V_____ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Well, ok first to answer a few of the questions you are having about shielding.

All of the shielding must be connected to all of the other shielding and, ultimately, to one common ground. So, yes, you would just treat the copper foil the same as a shielding cup and it's fine if it touches the chrome plates (those are also part of the shielding and should be connected to ground).

Now, in order for the electronics to work properly the following things also should be connected solidly to ground via soldered wire connections or for chrome parts you can typically get away with a good mechanical connection:

Any shielding
All metal plates
Back of Volume Pot
Lug 1 of Volume Pot (all the way to the right if looking from the back)
Any Tone Rolloff Caps
Back of Tone Pot
Both Negative Pickup Leads (ultimately, although, if you are wiring up a series/parallel switch you run one negative through the other pickup then to ground for series).
Sleeve of Jack (in the picture this is the one towards the bottom. It is connected to that ring of metal in hole of the jack)

One thing I noticed right away is you don't have a wire connecting the back of the volume pot to the back of the tone pot or to the jack sleeve. All of those things should be connected to each other by a wire to make sure you aren't relying on the mechanical connection to the chrome plate for your pickup/volume pot's connection to ground.

I would start there and see where that gets you.
www.shoepedals.com