CP Jazzmaster with Tele neck - Intonation

For help with setups and other technical issues.
kyleeee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

CP Jazzmaster with Tele neck - Intonation

Post by kyleeee » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:15 am

So for a good amount of time I always wanted a Jazzmaster with a tele neck on it and I considered building one until I found one on ebay for cheap and impulse bought it.

Turns out there's scale length issues with standard tele necks and Jazzmaster bodies (which I should've probably looked into) but I was overcome with gear acquisition syndrome (and besides the tele neck looks so cool on an offset body). This does cause intonation issues especially on the lower strings the higher up you go on the neck.

Is there any decent way to fix this? Or should I sell the guitar and try again?

morganp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CP Jazzmaster with Tele neck - Intonation

Post by morganp » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Hm, they should have different neck pocket shapes? The tele neck heel is usually square, while the strat and jazzmaster, while the same scale, will have much more rounded heel. The square tele heel shouldn't be able to go far enough into the jazzmaster body's rounded neck pocket; did the screw holes line up and everything? I'm surprised you were able to mate these two parts.

So, yes, same scale, but different neck pocket shape. Also, are you sure you didn't end up with a jaguar body? Those are definitely a different scale.

You could modify the neck pocket to be square enough for the tele neck, or round off the neck heel's corners. The non-destructive way is to order a tele neck with a strat/jm heel cut from Warmoth. Or a jm body with a tele neck pocket cut. Here's Warmoth's photos, maybe easier to just look at them than listen to me:
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx

kyleeee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: CP Jazzmaster with Tele neck - Intonation

Post by kyleeee » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:20 am

morganp wrote:Hm, they should have different neck pocket shapes? The tele neck heel is usually square, while the strat and jazzmaster, while the same scale, will have much more rounded heel. The square tele heel shouldn't be able to go far enough into the jazzmaster body's rounded neck pocket; did the screw holes line up and everything? I'm surprised you were able to mate these two parts.

So, yes, same scale, but different neck pocket shape. Also, are you sure you didn't end up with a jaguar body? Those are definitely a different scale.

You could modify the neck pocket to be square enough for the tele neck, or round off the neck heel's corners. The non-destructive way is to order a tele neck with a strat/jm heel cut from Warmoth. Or a jm body with a tele neck pocket cut. Here's Warmoth's photos, maybe easier to just look at them than listen to me:
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx
Well I know for a fact that it's a CP Jazzmaster body, and I didn't do the work. I found it on ebay, so it turns it into somewhat of a guessing game. I might just order a neck from warmoth, as it seems like that would be an easy solution.