Alright… What's So Special About the Mastery Vibrato?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
druunkonego
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Alright… What's So Special About the Mastery Vibrato?

Post by druunkonego » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Any properly set up jag/jazz trem should allow for both up and downward action. You've just got to adjust the spring tension screw until you find the sweet spot that allows the trem to float.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:26 pm

frame wrote: What do you mean by "upward pull?" The design seems to be the same as Fender's which only allows you to push down on the bar. It would have to float, like a strat, to be able to pull up. Curious here.

I think I see what you mean, now. The arm angle on the Mastery arm allows for more room to pull up.
The Jazzmaster tremolo was an improvement on the Stratocaster tremolo back in the day, the original Strat tremolo didn't allow for much upward pulling. Since it was so popular, they worked on it and now it's pretty good.

But the Jazzmaster has always had the ability to pull up as well as down, it was among the best in its day, ground breaking.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

frame
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frame » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:36 am

Larry Mal wrote:
frame wrote: What do you mean by "upward pull?" The design seems to be the same as Fender's which only allows you to push down on the bar. It would have to float, like a strat, to be able to pull up. Curious here.

I think I see what you mean, now. The arm angle on the Mastery arm allows for more room to pull up.
The Jazzmaster tremolo was an improvement on the Stratocaster tremolo back in the day, the original Strat tremolo didn't allow for much upward pulling. Since it was so popular, they worked on it and now it's pretty good.

But the Jazzmaster has always had the ability to pull up as well as down, it was among the best in its day, ground breaking.
Larry, is there a tutorial anywhere that explains how to adjust the tailpiece to float? I see ones that describe how to set up the button on vintage style, but none on how to set up for up and down. Thanks in advance. :)

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:48 am

I found this one useful:
http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/cms/2007 ... lo-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frame
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frame » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:25 am

BearBoy wrote:I found this one useful:
http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/cms/2007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... lo-system/
Thanks very much, BearBoy. ;)

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:41 am

frame wrote: Larry, is there a tutorial anywhere that explains how to adjust the tailpiece to float? I see ones that describe how to set up the button on vintage style, but none on how to set up for up and down. Thanks in advance.
There's high res scans from the original 1959 manual in the library section. Tells all about how the trem and bridge were meant to be set up.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12901

frame
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frame » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:29 am

JazzBlaster wrote:
frame wrote: Larry, is there a tutorial anywhere that explains how to adjust the tailpiece to float? I see ones that describe how to set up the button on vintage style, but none on how to set up for up and down. Thanks in advance.
There's high res scans from the original 1959 manual in the library section. Tells all about how the trem and bridge were meant to be set up.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12901
Thanks very much for that link as well. I finally figured out that it was all about the center adjustment screw. Counterclock-wise till it floats right. All these years and it was only diving. Oh well.... better late than never. :blush:

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Sorry to revive that old thread - but I haven‘t found any other thread about the „upward pull“.
Recently I helped a friend to get a used Squier J. Mascis and also helped him setting it up a bit.
He had a Schaller Roller Bridge installed on it to exchange the Adjustomatic. He did the same to his SG which needed a Vibrato too after he licked vibrato-blood - and gave it a Duesenberg LesTrem II. And while he can perform that „upward pull“ with the LT easily - the system on the JMJM runs sharp (I semitone I assume) untill he pushes it down again. (No detunings when pushing down at all).

Can this cheap squier system be set up to float properly at all? And if yes, how?

I got a similary cheap kit on my Eastwood Sidejack and it works just fine in both directions.
Any advices (setup-wise or brand) which does this - besides the Mastery (which is basically worth the same as he got the JMJM for)

Is there a setup guide for systems without the tremlock button?

Thank you very much!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:26 pm

It’s smooth and significantly quieter, which is nice when using low output pickups.
It’s really expensive.
They won’t sell you a replacement arm for it. :ph34r:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm

The screws are flatheads countersunk, eliminating the broken E-string problem, the action of the arm is smooth as can be, the arm stays put and never squeaks, and it feels heavier or more massive. You can adjust the play in the swing of the arm to your preference, too.

I put one on Nelvis and the Bilt has one- I'm sold on 'em.

Nelvis With Mastery Bridge And Vibrato, May 06, 2015 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Nelvis Is Taking A Breather. May 12, 2018 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

BilT Guitars, S.S. Zaftig, November 04, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Creston Guitars use the Mastery vibrato on their offsets, too.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

valley_parade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by valley_parade » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Our very own Harvester as well, IIRC.

Idk, I'm not much of a vibrato user, but I think as far as aesthetics go i prefer the shape of the Mastery trem plate over the standard Fender design.