Staytrem vs. Mastery or Mastery vs. Staytrem

For help with setups and other technical issues.
marco.desan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Staytrem vs. Mastery or Mastery vs. Staytrem

Post by marco.desan » Mon May 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Just ordered a staytrem for my new Jag
If it is good as I am expecting it to be... I will order another one to change the TOM in the JM

gusman2x
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusman2x » Tue May 20, 2014 12:49 am

leicaboss wrote:My Jag's currently got a Mustang bridge & saddles on it.

I've never played the stock bridge/saddles because it came set up this way (though the stock parts are in the case). Would the Staytrem increase sustain over the Mustang? I also find that my high E feels like it's about to drop off the fretboard at times...
Not in mu experience. I've found that the staytrem reduces sustain over a normal jaz/jazz bridge, but it pretty similar to a mustang one. The real benefit is that the string spacing is jag/jazz correct, and the grooves hold the treble strings better.

Overall a great improvement and an instant win when you put it on, but it does the same thing to sustain that a normal mustang bridge does.

caliban
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caliban » Tue May 20, 2014 1:10 am

gusman2x wrote:
leicaboss wrote:My Jag's currently got a Mustang bridge & saddles on it.

I've never played the stock bridge/saddles because it came set up this way (though the stock parts are in the case). Would the Staytrem increase sustain over the Mustang? I also find that my high E feels like it's about to drop off the fretboard at times...
Not in mu experience. I've found that the staytrem reduces sustain over a normal jaz/jazz bridge, but it pretty similar to a mustang one. The real benefit is that the string spacing is jag/jazz correct, and the grooves hold the treble strings better.

Overall a great improvement and an instant win when you put it on, but it does the same thing to sustain that a normal mustang bridge does.
String spacing on the staytrem is smaller than normal jazzmaster/jaguar, more like tom bridges

gusman2x
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusman2x » Tue May 20, 2014 2:24 am

caliban wrote:String spacing on the staytrem is smaller than normal jazzmaster/jaguar, more like tom bridges
May be. I played a MIJ jag with a std mustang bridge on it, and the E strings definitely felt too close to the edge of the board. Especially the high E. The staytrem feels perfect, not bunched in any way. I guess it's hard to do a direct comparison as std jag and jazz bridges don't have dedicated grooves.

mywhitenoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mywhitenoise » Tue May 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Got my staytrem bridge over the weekend, but it wasn't a "pop in and go" set up as I had anticipated. The bridge posts were really high up, so I lowered them significantly. Then I took about 30 minutes to get the intonation to an acceptable level. However through all of this the low E string still buzzes! Probably buzzes more than the standard Mustang bridge I had on before!

I really like the string spacing, but kind of feel ripped off spending $80 more than a standard Mustang bridge when there's still a buzz. Any pointers on fixing it?

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Tue May 27, 2014 6:57 pm

mywhitenoise wrote:Got my staytrem bridge over the weekend, but it wasn't a "pop in and go" set up as I had anticipated. The bridge posts were really high up, so I lowered them significantly. Then I took about 30 minutes to get the intonation to an acceptable level. However through all of this the low E string still buzzes! Probably buzzes more than the standard Mustang bridge I had on before!

I really like the string spacing, but kind of feel ripped off spending $80 more than a standard Mustang bridge when there's still a buzz. Any pointers on fixing it?
You likely need to shim the neck. Almost all modern offsets need this and its super easy to do. It will increase the downforce of the strings and stop most all buzzing (even buzzing at the tremolo on Jags and Jazzmasters) as well as increase sustain. Probably one of the most common things I do in my shop to offsets.
Troy Neagle Luthiery & Custom Pickguards

Please contact me at Reverb
https://reverb.com/shop/neagle-luthier

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Just got my Staytrem bridge the other day and it's perfect. Dropped right in and it's been solid. No buzzing, plays great, intonates fine.

Recommended.

I haven't tried the Mastery but I can't imagine it'd need to be much better than this. At the end of the day it's just a bridge, right? The Staytrem addresses all the problems I had with the original. That's all I really need.

mywhitenoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mywhitenoise » Tue May 27, 2014 9:15 pm

DrOctagon wrote:Just got my Staytrem bridge the other day and it's perfect. Dropped right in and it's been solid. No buzzing, plays great, intonates fine.

Recommended.

I haven't tried the Mastery but I can't imagine it'd need to be much better than this. At the end of the day it's just a bridge, right? The Staytrem addresses all the problems I had with the original. That's all I really need.
You didn't have to adjust the height or intonation? What gauge strings are you using (flat or round)? Do you have a shim? And what bridge did the Staytrem replace?

buckwalder
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by buckwalder » Wed May 28, 2014 11:08 am

After reading this thread, I decided to mod the mustang bridge that was already on my vmjm when I made the trade in march.
I sanded down the a-b saddles to match the radius of the neck the added surgical tubing to the bridge post with a little overlapping the bridge height screws.
I have no issues with vibration or buzzing from the intonation screws but if I ever did I would just add nylon bushings to the screws.
I only have 60.00 total in the jazzmaster so far so it didn't make sense to but an 80.00 bridge for a 60.00 guitar.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Wed May 28, 2014 1:05 pm

mywhitenoise wrote: You didn't have to adjust the height or intonation? What gauge strings are you using (flat or round)? Do you have a shim? And what bridge did the Staytrem replace?
You choose which radius you have when you order the bridge so height adjustment isn't necessary. I adjusted intonation, obviously. That'd be pretty amazing if it was intonated for my guitar out of the box! (It actually wasn't too far off though..)

I'm using flatwound 13's. The Staytrem replaced the stock bridge. I can't remember if there's a shim in there or not.. I'm going to say probably but now I'm wondering if I've ever even had to take the neck off. I'm not sure.

mywhitenoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mywhitenoise » Wed May 28, 2014 3:23 pm

DrOctagon wrote:You choose which radius you have when you order the bridge so height adjustment isn't necessary.
What you talking about Willis? There's two height adjustment screws for the bridge posts. I didn't mean for the individual saddles.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Wed May 28, 2014 3:33 pm

mywhitenoise wrote:
DrOctagon wrote:You choose which radius you have when you order the bridge so height adjustment isn't necessary.
What you talking about Willis? There's two height adjustment screws for the bridge posts. I didn't mean for the individual saddles.
Oh, those. No, I didn't need to. I probably could if I wanted the action a little lower but it wasn't necessary.

steze13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by steze13 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:44 pm

DrOctagon wrote:Just got my Staytrem bridge the other day and it's perfect. Dropped right in and it's been solid. No buzzing, plays great, intonates fine.

Recommended.

I didn't have to adjust the intonation on my Staytrem bridge either. Dropped in perfectly intonated.

V_____
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by V_____ » Wed May 28, 2014 8:00 pm

I've been trying out the staytrem in my non-trem Jaguar (it's a blacktop HH and had a TOM type bridge but I decided to swap in a Mastery/Thimbles). So far I think I like the Mastery better. The Staytrem seems quite well made and the design is a lot simpler/works well, but I think the mastery just feels/sounds better on this guitar and seems to result in slightly better action since you have more control over the individual string height.

I could just be used to the mastery, of course.
www.shoepedals.com

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:45 am

ok i just ordered a staytrem bridge for jag/jazz and one for my old Bass VI.
hope they'll be here soon and i can find out what the fuss is all about. :w00t:

if they really are as cool as everybody's raving about, i'll be buying some for all of my offsets... *gulp* :-[

stay tuned!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.