Staytrem vs. Mastery or Mastery vs. Staytrem

For help with setups and other technical issues.
PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Staytrem vs. Mastery or Mastery vs. Staytrem

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:20 pm

First impressions (and I use Mastery Bridges since 2009) :

Just got my Staytrem Bridge.. and I LOVE it. It's working better than the Mastery, at least on my Vintage JM! Mainly because of the string spacing (much better than on the Mastery, at least for that specific guitar), it feels more balanced and - espcecially - the low e string is not on the edge of the fretboard anymore.

"E to E string spacing is 52mm instead of the standard 55mm, this brings the strings away from the edge of the fretboard, this is another common problem solved"

Game-changer: on that guitar, YES

The radius is spot on - no way to adjust - but I like that since I always had problems with my Mastery even if I fixed it with nailpolish or whatever. Especially after playing a lot or - even worse - during gigs . Ok, hard stuff like superglue does help but I saw ruined adjustment screws (on one Mastery which I bought 2nd hand) - they were simply not adjustable anymore and I had to replace hem.

AND: it's FLOATING, there may be pros and cons about that but I'm fine with it!

Also, it's looks more correct on a vintage guitar (comparing to the Mastery).

The Mastery has probably a bit more sustain but I don't care!

My conclusion: The Staytrem "stays" ;) Mastery has to go, at least on my 65 JM.... and it's just half the price of a Mastery (if you are in Europe...).

I don't want to offend anyone with this post. I only want to share my thoughts. Also, I'm still happy with the Mastery on my AVRI's ...

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Staytrem vs. Mastery or Mastery vs. Staytrem

Post by Johnny Alien » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 pm

PJazzmaster wrote:Also, it's looks more correct on a vintage guitar (comparing to the Mastery).

Based on photos I have seen I agree.

mozzuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mozzuk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:00 pm

The Staytrem bridsge is a nice piece of kit.

When I A/B'd it against a Mastery I felt like it transferred a similar level of tension/vibration through the guitar. If I recall correctly it resonated as strongly as a Mastery but didn't have quite as much sustain. That said I was paying a lot more attention to the feel/action so don't quote me. It felt sturdier than stock, but I never had problems with strings jumping on stock to being with.

Even now, when changing strings, I sometimes like to switch to it occasionally. Design-wise the offset saddle adjustment screws are great as well as the rubber stubs on the base of the bridge posts - seem to help with keeping the screws from loosening.

The lack of individual saddle height adjustment is probably the one thing that I miss compared to the Mastery. While the radius is correct, I tend to raise the low E side up slightly for action/buzz. On the Mastery I can do that while keeping the rest of the strings at a fixed height. On the Staytrem the whole side of the bridge is raised slightly and, in turn, all corresponding strings.

The other thing you have to watch for is the strings catching on the edges of the bridge sides, like on the stock one (where on a Mastery they've been trimmed down).

That said, I haven't tried it since adjusting the truss rod and changing string gauges so things may have changed. This is on an AVRI, not vintage.

Overall, agreed, definitely a worthwhile alternative to the Mastery.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 am

Just got me two Staytrem Bridges, 7¼ radius for a vintage guitar and 9½ for a partsmaster. The radius fits perfectly, much better than any Mustang bridge for sure, no rattles, super solid. Highly recommended.
Nobody exists on purpose.

gypsyseven
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gypsyseven » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 am

I should get one within the next few days...hopefully that good as everyone´s telling me... ;D

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 pm

forgot to say: the narrower string spacing is awesome. i think you'll love it.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm

fuzzking wrote:forgot to say: the narrower string spacing is awesome. i think you'll love it.
yeap, thats why I said gamechanger (for me) - comparing to the mastery...

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

They are awesome.... I have been a big supporter since I got one on the JMarr-Jag, although what he is selling 'aftermarket' is a little different with the offset intonation adjustment screws. I also installed one one on the Jazzmaster and its fantastic.

The bridge, and the trem system + shipping from the UK for less that the cost of a mastery... oh and delivery in about 10 days.

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Man these look nice. Can't believe this is my first time seeing them.
Troy Neagle Luthiery & Custom Pickguards

Please contact me at Reverb
https://reverb.com/shop/neagle-luthier

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:28 am

only thing is that i now need 5 more of them :fp:

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:45 am

I know I've been Bass VI crazy lately. Some may be getting tired of it but I wonder if this bridge would intonate on a Bass VI since it has no springs to get in the way. The string spacing might be too narrow for that though. Anyone tried this yet?
Troy Neagle Luthiery & Custom Pickguards

Please contact me at Reverb
https://reverb.com/shop/neagle-luthier

donb720
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by donb720 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am

Ordered 1 each for Squier VM Jag and Jazzmaster. To compare apples to apples, when I installed them last night I left the factory skinny little 9's on the guitar.

First Impressions:
Found myself turning the treble back up on the amp (I had turned it way down to compensate for the extra high end on the guitars out-of-box.) Noticeable rounder, fuller tone - as if I had gone up a string gauge.

Easy to install/adjust. I haven't intonated yet. I wonder if I'll miss individual height adjustments? I don't miss the adjustment screws digging into my had or coming loose.

The narrower string spacing is a blessing. E strings were too close to the edges of the fretboard - playable but something that I had to adjust for. The narrower staytrem string spacing is subtle but effective, making the guitar easier to play - without making it feel like the strings are too close together.

Seems very well made and they stand by their product with a money-back.

Conclusion: The bridge cost half as much as the guitar but the improved playability and tone are worth the cost for me.

donb720
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by donb720 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 am

Clarification ; My post above is about the Staytrem bridge.

spilltray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spilltray » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm

I'd love to hear more comparisons/pros and cons of the Staytrem vs Mastery. I'm saving up funds to put something together and had been eyeballing the Mastery, but the Staytrem is definitely worth looking into as well but I'm not finding near the amount of feedback on the staytrem. I know I don't like the standard JM bridge all that much and I love gobs of resonance and sustain, so I'm leaning mastery but would love to hear more people's opinions on this to help me make up my mind.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Okay, I've already shelled out for two Mastery bridges. Are you telling me there's now a significantly cheaper alternative that's not only every bit as good but maybe even a little bit better?