High e string keeps breaking

For help with setups and other technical issues.
eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: High e string keeps breaking

Post by eligit » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:45 am

fisonic wrote:
eligit wrote:
fisonic wrote:Image
Nice!
Have you seen a source for single plain strings of these?
You could try here:

http://mobile.ernieball.com/products/el ... ain-6-pack

http://www.the-music-store.com/store/in ... ts_id=8487
nice!

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 am

i've been plagued by this problem this year, I just ordered ghs boomer 11s so no more d'addarios. Will try turning the screws upside down on the trem and soldering the winding on the e string.
If OSG has tort me anything...

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:11 pm

after many months of using the D'addario KPL strings for the B and high E strings i have not broken a string. not one. including much whammy abuse through the full range of the bar, lots of bending notes with left hand, etc.
problem 100% solved.

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:08 am

I've found out than if I shim my guitar less, I don't need to solder my strings. Seems that when using the non-rocking Mastery it just gets too much tension.

I haven't soldered for about a year now!

I don't get the downwards pressure on the bridge that I really want, but I've come to a middle of the road solution.

I can't seem to find the KPL strings... Are those loose soldered strings?

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Bronco Billy wrote:I've found out than if I shim my guitar less, I don't need to solder my strings. Seems that when using the non-rocking Mastery it just gets too much tension.

I don't get the downwards pressure on the bridge that I really want, but I've come to a middle of the road solution.

you can find the KPL D'addarios as single strings at juststrings.com
I get the KPL011 for high E and KPL015 for B. neck is shimmed and i hit pretty hard, bend pretty hard, whammy pretty hard both down and up. Mastery bridge and trem. Before I started using the KPLs i was breaking high Es all the time using 10s OR 11s. they broke right at the ball every single time. not anymore.

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am

eligit wrote:
Bronco Billy wrote:I've found out than if I shim my guitar less, I don't need to solder my strings. Seems that when using the non-rocking Mastery it just gets too much tension.

I get the KPL011 for high E and KPL015 for B. neck is shimmed and i hit pretty hard, bend pretty hard, whammy pretty hard both down and up. Mastery bridge and trem. Before I started using the KPLs i was breaking high Es all the time using 10s OR 11s. they broke right at the ball every single time. not anymore.
Ah, so they're presoldered. I did that myself for a few years. The NYXL are solders too.

I think the key is to find a solution that doesn't need separate strings or soldering. :whistle:

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:55 pm

Bronco Billy wrote:
eligit wrote:

Ah, so they're presoldered. I did that myself for a few years. The NYXL are solders too.

I think the key is to find a solution that doesn't need separate strings or soldering.
i have assembled my own custom gages for years anyway. so i have to order separate strings regardless. no set exists that has exactly the gages I use and juststrings.com makes it easy to just hit "reorder" once you have a "set" you like. So i don't have to buy an existing set and then throw 1-2 away and replace with the KPLs. I just order the strings i want: normal D'Addarios for Low E to G and then KLPs for B and high E. all good.
either way if you are having high e and b string breaks at the ball end the KPLs will solve the issue. It's a small price to pay for not breaking a high E in the middle of a raging solo which frankly is the WORST.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Set of imaginary issues maybe?

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:12 am

tribi9 wrote:Set of imaginary issues maybe?
Are you calling alternative facts on this issue?

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:15 am

Just to chime in here, my problem with high E-strings breaking WAS because of them touching the screw. Turned it around and the problem's gone. So in some cases that can be the solution to the problem.

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:Just to chime in here, my problem with high E-strings breaking WAS because of them touching the screw. Turned it around and the problem's gone. So in some cases that can be the solution to the problem.
that definitely seems to be the case for some.
I *thought* it was for me...but then when i put in the mastery trem (which has no screws at all) i was still breaking them like crazy.

doctorock78
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by doctorock78 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi all. If you are using a mastery bridge you may have grooves wearing through the chrome and into brass. This will cause extra friction when using the vibrato arm and break strings near the ball end (which are already prone to weakening in the offset trem system). Occasionally they would grind through the string right at the saddle where the chrome was worn away. I use a dab of coconut oil on the saddles before every other gig and also solder the windings and ball end on the high E and B strings. This has solved the problem 99%

doctorock78
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by doctorock78 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 pm

By the way don't mention chrome wear to Woody at mastery he gets very upset. :) My dream is to someday buy another Mastery bridge from them AFTER the chrome issue is solved

W.L.Weller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by W.L.Weller » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:29 am

I've had a Squier VMJM for a few years now and have broken a few E strings (.011) but I think the wound G strings are the ones I break more. Especially when I was getting Ernie Ball .018 singles. Guitar is currently strung with .012s and a .024 wound G, everything but the G is D'Addario though, so I'll be watching out then next time I hold the guitar body parallel to the floor, shaking the bar like I'm trying to snap it off.

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:59 am

W.L.Weller wrote:I've had a Squier VMJM for a few years now and have broken a few E strings (.011) but I think the wound G strings are the ones I break more. Especially when I was getting Ernie Ball .018 singles. Guitar is currently strung with .012s and a .024 wound G, everything but the G is D'Addario though, so I'll be watching out then next time I hold the guitar body parallel to the floor, shaking the bar like I'm trying to snap it off.
does the G break at the ball end? I have been torturing my JM since day one and never busted a G. TONS of Es, and a couple Bs, but never a G.