mastery bridge still buzzing

For help with setups and other technical issues.
o.p-i.v
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

mastery bridge still buzzing

Post by o.p-i.v » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 pm

got a mastery, yet it still has some buzz in it. Any improper set up techniques that could cause this?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: mastery bridge still buzzing

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:23 pm

What have you tried? Where's it 'buzzing' from?
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Check the following, may or may not help.

Saddles should be fairly well spaced off the bridge plate, ie saddles higher, bridge lower for the same action.

Make sure that the saddles are fully forward on the intonation adjustment, ie that spring tension is holding the screws against the back of the plate & the saddles havn't drifted.

That the posts are fairly tight in the thimbles. See if there is any movement. If so, try wrapping a small strip of magazine thickness paper around the post. Dont overlap it. That worked for me & stopped the strings pinging. Others have used match stick splinters or replaced the thimbles with the mastery ones.

That the bridge plate is relatively flat(parrallel) to the body. Use the saddle screws to adjust action. I even used a caliper to set the two end post height adjustment screws to the same length. Not sure if that will help, it's just something I do with the standard bridge.

That the two saddles haven't drifted together. I used a small peice of felt, to dampen the contact. Just cut a tiny piece, about the radius of the side of the saddle. The tension held in place.

There is probably an optimum break angle for a Mastery. Not that I ciuld tell you what it is.

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:29 am

fisonic wrote:Check the following, may or may not help.

Saddles should be fairly well spaced off the bridge plate, ie saddles higher, bridge lower for the same action.

Make sure that the saddles are fully forward on the intonation adjustment, ie that spring tension is holding the screws against the back of the plate & the saddles havn't drifted.

That the posts are fairly tight in the thimbles. See if there is any movement. If so, try wrapping a small strip of magazine thickness paper around the post. Dont overlap it. That worked for me & stopped the strings pinging. Others have used match stick splinters or replaced the thimbles with the mastery ones.

That the bridge plate is relatively flat(parrallel) to the body. Use the saddle screws to adjust action. I even used a caliper to set the two end post height adjustment screws to the same length. Not sure if that will help, it's just something I do with the standard bridge.

That the two saddles haven't drifted together. I used a small peice of felt, to dampen the contact. Just cut a tiny piece, about the radius of the side of the saddle. The tension held in place.

There is probably an optimum break angle for a Mastery. Not that I ciuld tell you what it is.

All good things to check.

Did you follow the installation instructions? I know they were simple but at least a few people have NOT loosened the posts when installing which can cause issues.
Last edited by _nash on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

iswope
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iswope » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am

fisonic wrote:Check the following, may or may not help.

This is what fixed saddle buzz on the Mastery for me and was what Woody recommended when I asked him about it.
Wherever you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Bonzai

jacobyjd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jacobyjd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 am

+1 on the saddle thing. If you don't have 'em high enough, the strings will buzz on the front edge of the bent plate that cradles the saddles.

CoryPeterson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CoryPeterson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:48 am

Hi,

Trying to revive this thread as I'm having a similar issue and was wondering if anybody has experienced it.

I have the mastery bridge installed in my AVRI jazzmaster and I notice that the action on the highest frets (13 - 21 or so) keeps getting noticeably lower and bottom out on the frets. I think it may be related to the saddle pieces lowering down on their own over time (takes maybe only a day or so to do this such that I actually have to raise the saddle pieces every day or so). I believe that it's the saddle pieces because often times the strings will be buzzing on the top of the bridge plate a while after I raise the saddle pieces.

Anyone experienced or heard of this happening before? Any ideas for solutions? Thanks much!

JoeF
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JoeF » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:58 pm

CoryPeterson wrote:Hi,

Trying to revive this thread as I'm having a similar issue and was wondering if anybody has experienced it.

I have the mastery bridge installed in my AVRI jazzmaster and I notice that the action on the highest frets (13 - 21 or so) keeps getting noticeably lower and bottom out on the frets. I think it may be related to the saddle pieces lowering down on their own over time (takes maybe only a day or so to do this such that I actually have to raise the saddle pieces every day or so). I believe that it's the saddle pieces because often times the strings will be buzzing on the top of the bridge plate a while after I raise the saddle pieces.

Anyone experienced or heard of this happening before? Any ideas for solutions? Thanks much!
The saddles screws sometimes slip. you can insert some thread or teflon tape in the saddle before putting in the screw or dab some loctite blue thread lock on it before reinstalling.

CoryPeterson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CoryPeterson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:46 pm

JoeF wrote:
The saddles screws sometimes slip. you can insert some thread or teflon tape in the saddle before putting in the screw or dab some loctite blue thread lock on it before reinstalling.
Thanks very much for the reply! I will try the loctite solution. I bet that will do the trick.

*J*
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by *J* » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:41 pm

very helpful thread, I'm just experiencing this problem.
came here to ask and Voila, someone already did.
I'll give the suggestions a go.
it was fine when i first installed it couple of months ago but recently started buzzing.
I imagine something just "settled" or temperature change.

smalltownsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalltownsongs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm

From another thread I learned about purple loctite. After 1 gig with my Mastery on my AVRI Jazzy shit got all buzzy. Purple loctite'd the saddle and post threads, reset it up, played hard, adjusted once. Perfect. Get you some! 8)
Offsets into EL84s

sitarzanmann
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sitarzanmann » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:00 am

Anyone get fret buzz after installing one of these? I just picked up a '62 avri and the guitar plays amazing. The previous owner removed the shims from the guitar and the action was a little higher than I prefer; I put the shims back in and everything feels right. The only issue I'm having is the low E has some fret buzz, more than I'd expect. I tried raising the saddle but it seems that I have to raise it abnormally high to alleviate any buzz, but then it's too high for my liking.

I'll try adjusting the neck truss a 1/4 turn to pitch tonight but I at least figured I'd bounce this off the offset forum.

Here she is :)

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 017493816 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:02 am

Have you tried shimming the neck?

sitarzanmann
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sitarzanmann » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:17 am

Altar wrote:Have you tried shimming the neck?
Yep, mentioned in my post that the shims are back in the pocket. Sorry if my post was too wordy and that got lost.

blake480
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blake480 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:01 am

Is that the one from TGP that was sub $1000 with a mastery and mosrite pups? You lucky duck. That was a great deal. I wanted to buy it and put my gold guard on it.

He made a big mistake pulling the shims.

Put the shims back in. Tighten the truss rod a quarter/half inch to the right. I would straighten out the saddles some. They look pretty angled. I know it's a 7.25 inch radius. But that looks a little aggressive. Lower the bridge to your liking. Then adjust the bridge angle accordingly.