Kinman to release noiseless Jazzmaster pickup!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mr_sooty
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Kinman to release noiseless Jazzmaster pickup!

Post by mr_sooty » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Surely you guys will be interested in this. None of the other forums seem to be.

I've been thinking about taking the plunge on a Classic Player Jazzmaster for some time now, but I'm put off by the noise. I'm traditionally a Strat player, and there are some great noiseless pickups for Strats, but there seems to be nothing in the way of an authentic sounding noiseless Jazzmaster pickup. While searching the net for such a thing I saw on a really old forum post (2008 ish) about how Kinman were working on a noiseless Jazzmaster pickup, so I emailed them the other day to ask whether it was still in the works. I got this reply:

"You have good timing, after 4 years in development we finalized our design for Jazzmaster just yesterday, you are first to know. Our engineers are now drawing all the components and tooling for CAD manufacturing. This takes time and we expect to have a product for sale in 2 or 3 months. Price is not finalized but I expect it will be about $125 to $140 including a cover. [edit: I don't know what currency he was talking about for the price. I'm in New Zealand, he may have been quoting Australian prices]

One of the big problems we had with a replacement Jazzmaster pickup was designing a great sounding Zero-Hum pickup that was shallow enough to install in the shallow pickup cavity of Jazzmasters. After years of trying different approaches we finally cracked the nut so to speak. Our Zero-Hum Jazzmaster pickup will drop right into your guitar without having to modify anything."

Very exciting, I just hope it sounds good! Kinman has a great rep with their noiseless single coils so this could be awesome. If it sounds good it'll open the door wider for the Jazzmaster to become a serious option for the likes of myself.

mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Kinman to release noiseless Jazzmaster pickup!

Post by mongoose » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:05 am

Let's all just keep our fingers crossed that these will actually sound like JM pickups. :)
"Every day I live forces me to add to the number of people who can kiss my ass."- mongoose

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 am

im keeping my ears open for this one....$125 for one pickup ! damn !
i guess it could be worth it..

mr_sooty
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mr_sooty » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 am

dinosaurkale-> wrote:im keeping my ears open for this one....$125 for one pickup ! damn !
Well if he was quoting me Aussie dollars, then that would put it about the same as a Dimarzio, perfectly reasonable for over here. But if it was US dollars then yeah, quite spendy.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:24 am

mr_sooty wrote:
dinosaurkale-> wrote:im keeping my ears open for this one....$125 for one pickup ! damn !
Well if he was quoting me Aussie dollars, then that would put it about the same as a Dimarzio, perfectly reasonable for over here. But if it was US dollars then yeah, quite spendy.
Ever so slightly less in US dollars actually. The exchange rate at the moment is $1AUD = $1.03USD.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

lastlol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lastlol » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:40 am

I'm a little bit skeptical about his pickups, and noiseless pups in general. I tried Kinmans on my Tele and found them to be completely sterile and boring. The other noiseless pups I tried were the Bardens and I must admit I liked these ones, far more than the Kinmans, and I kept them for some months. But I eventually came back to vintage style noisy pickups, because I think noise and 60's hum are parts of Fenders' sound !

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:02 am

There is a demo by Brett Kingman on youtube. Sounds good to me!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:49 am

I'm always interested in reducing noise, especially when it comes at no cost to the characteristic of the guitar's sound. We'll see! Good to read about, good post.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

EduFiend
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by EduFiend » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:23 am

Any opinions on these by now? I'm quite curious about them, input would be much appreciated.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:07 am

EduFiend wrote:Any opinions on these by now? I'm quite curious about them, input would be much appreciated.
They sound great on the Youtube demos from Brett Kingman.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:29 pm

I might upgrate my Panther LS Prototype (the home-built Jazzmaster I made in 2010 - I'm rebadging it under my own brand now) - if they are not too terrible (price wise) I might have to try these out because that's the one thing holding me back from using the Jazzmaster live so much, unless I come up with a more inexpensive solution.

EduFiend
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by EduFiend » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:41 pm

I took the plunge with these the other day based on the Youtube reviews.

I'm thinking of taking the serial/parallel routing explained here:
https://reverb.com/ca/news/upgrading-ja ... iring-mods

Basically, use the Volume and Tone pots as two master volumes a-la Gibson, and parallel wiring on the "up" circuit to go full on humbucker.

I've been wondering, though, should I shield my pickguard using these hum canceling pups? Could anyone elaborate on the pros and cons?

Thanks!