replacing JM bridge with mustang bridge???

For help with setups and other technical issues.
SteveCic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

replacing JM bridge with mustang bridge???

Post by SteveCic » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:02 am

does anyone have this? does it make a difference?
GET WEIRD

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: replacing JM bridge with mustang bridge???

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:38 am

index.php?topic=3911.0

It's all in there. ;)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:50 am

It's an easy swap, nothing more then that. I do feel it alters the tone of your guitar. Some like it, some don't.
It makes the sound a bit more "prounounced" so to speak, since the mass is higher on the bridge itself (hope this is a understanable explanation)
Perhaps a minor thikening of the overall sound as well.
If you like bright sounding strings and can't take the rattling they produce witht he stock bridge, then the Mustang Barrels are the way to go imo.
I tried all kinds of bridges, but still prefer the stock with flatwounds and the Mustang Barrels with roundwoundstrings becoause of stability.
I aslo tried the Tusq saddles, but I'm not to pleased with them, they sound to bright to my ears.

Although, the  Mustang barrels are not height adjustable like the sock ones, so if you like a really low action, you will have to raise it, since your E's will buzz on the frets.
But then again a shim in the neckpocket might take care of that. There are also hieght adjustable Mustang saddles, but these are more expensive and some peaple really don't like them at all. I never tried them, but I guess the are simelar to the tusq saddles in construction but different material is used.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

MuffFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MuffFuzz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:05 pm

Not to hijack the thread by any means; but I have a mustang bridge coming in the mail soon. Does the Jazzmaster still retain that Jazzmaster "tone" even with the mustang bridge? I know some jangle is reduced but will I still be able to say "yeah that's a jazzmaster".

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:19 pm

If all that was needed to make a jazzmaster sound different we'd all have $40 pawn store guitars with jazzmaster bridges!  :D

A sarcastic way of saying you may not even notice the difference its so minor.