string buzz problems

For help with setups and other technical issues.
tone_deaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

string buzz problems

Post by tone_deaf » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:40 am

I have lots os string buzz on my jag... What should i do to reduce it?
I already have a buzz stop, and i like it, but i still have lots os buzz on the fretboard...

Taylorplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: string buzz problems

Post by Taylorplayer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:21 am

if it's on the fretboard you have either your action too low, or your neck needs adjustment (weather that be a truss rod job or shims)... where (what fret(s)) are the buzzes coming from?
Need some XII pickup covers....

tone_deaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tone_deaf » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:35 am

It's almost every fret. My bridge is high, so i think i need to adjust the truss rod... Is there a way to see when the truss rod is well adjusted?

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Put a capo on the first fret and press the strings down at the 21st fret.  You should have just a tiny bit of clearance betwen the middle of each string and fretboard at the middle of the neck.  If it's more than a millimeter then your truss rod is too loose (too much of a bow), if there is no clearance at all then your truss rod is too tight (flat neck or slight back bow).  You can also just look down the frets, squint, and see if there is too much or too little bow.  If the neck looks good - just a hair of a bow, then you may have individual frets that are too high or too low.

Do a little research before you attempt to adjust the truss rod, or work on your frets.  Badly done, it can be a lot worse than leaving it the way it is.

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.