-=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JGZinv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: -=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

Post by JGZinv » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:08 am

I got my JM back yesterday, had someone else play it... like you said spot -on sound. :?
Matches beautifully with songs like Riders in the Sky or Ventures tunes.
Even though both pickups were basically identical (7.3), very distinctive sound in each position.

Course I've got a mastery bridge and treble bleeds on it all too, but I'm pretty pleased.
My pickups were made with the copper colored Formvar which matches with the 60's era pickups.
Now for the hard part... learning the beast. :)

kypdurron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kypdurron » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:41 am

secndshft wrote:Well, I ended up buying a set too. They are amazing. To me, spot on repros. I bought the grey, 60s spec pickups. I installed them this weekend as part of my refurb of my parts Jazzmaster. I will do my best to record a sample or two in the coming weeks. I think you will love them once you get it set up. I agree, he needs to be added to the first listing. Great price, very professional, quick transaction and willing to answer any question I had.
I installed these, too yesterday. Nice guy, and quality stuff. I paid some 80 € for the pair, including shipping to Germany. For that price you get one Seymour Duncan Antiquity here.

I made some samples, using my Vox Amplug directly into my PC. first is the stock Pickups, second the replacements. I didn't alter the Amplug settings or change strings. Notice how the same setup that sounds trebly and cold with the stock pickups sounds warm, nearly muddy, and bassy with Mr. Peter Leonard's pickups. They definitely need a little more treble on the amp. But I recorded it this way so you can compare better. both samples do not sound outstanding, though.

Jazzmaster stock.wav
Jazzmaster new.wav

Image Image Image
"When we built the Stratocaster we thought that was the world's greatest guitar. Then we said let's make something even better - so we built the Jazzmaster"
(Freddie Tavares, Fender R&D 1953-1985)

kypdurron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kypdurron » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:28 am

I finally had the chance to try Peter Leonard's pickups on my big amp at rehearsal yesterday. I cannot compare to SD Antiquities and Novak's but they're a massive upgrade to MIJ Stock PUs and sound, to me, way better than AVRIs. (I didn't have AVRIs in my JM, but played an AVRI once or twice, so no guarantee given). And definitely much better than the Standard SD upgrades (the non-antiquities).

They are warm, full, and sound very good from bassy tones to high lead tones. Very good results in every switching position. The only thing I can criticise is that the Bridge-Position sounded a little weak. Maybe I'll have to set that Pickup a little higher.
"When we built the Stratocaster we thought that was the world's greatest guitar. Then we said let's make something even better - so we built the Jazzmaster"
(Freddie Tavares, Fender R&D 1953-1985)

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:20 pm

kypdurron wrote:I finally had the chance to try Peter Leonard's pickups on my big amp at rehearsal yesterday. I cannot compare to SD Antiquities and Novak's but they're a massive upgrade to MIJ Stock PUs and sound, to me, way better than AVRIs. (I didn't have AVRIs in my JM, but played an AVRI once or twice, so no guarantee given). And definitely much better than the Standard SD upgrades (the non-antiquities).

They are warm, full, and sound very good from bassy tones to high lead tones. Very good results in every switching position. The only thing I can criticise is that the Bridge-Position sounded a little weak. Maybe I'll have to set that Pickup a little higher.
I would suggest raising the bridge pickup slightly as you mentioned. I have the same pickups as you and I found that I needed to adjust the heights. Though the bridge pickup is a little hotter, it does seem to be a tad bit weak until the height is right. Thanks for recording the samples. I have been meaning to get around to it and have totally flaked. BTW, the jazzmaster's a real beauty.

Jagvulture
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jagvulture » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks ;)

JGZinv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JGZinv » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Say can we get the Pickup Wizard aka Peter Leonard added to the first post?
I mean we've got 5+ people now vouching that they are decent.
I know he does custom JM and Jag pickups, but I believe he's mentioned he does other types as well.

His eBay profile is here: http://myworld.ebay.com/thepickupwizard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

light years
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by light years » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:40 am

Bump for such a great thread. I might be getting some avri pickups to replace the lame SD duckbuckers i have in my jag.

light years
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by light years » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:01 pm

update. I got the pickups. I like the neck sound but if i run neck and bridge its ice pick murder! think i have to change the pot to what is it? 5000?

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:11 am

light years wrote:Bump
It's a sticky :D
There is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:20 pm

"but it may be wise to only change one pot from 1meg to 500k at first because the more you'll put 500k pots, the darker your sound will be.
If a 1meg pot + 500 k pot is still too bright, then go for two 500k pots."

Sorry to beat a dead horse but which do you change out? The volume or the tone knob? I love playing but im a technical moron so im trying to grow =) What difference would it make if you did one or the other? would 250 be too drastic? I ask because honestly i dont know. =) Thanks man! cheers and God bless - Nicholas A. Paige
Jesus

Glider
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Glider » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:25 am

Fuck. (There might be an upcoming thread about this) A while back I swapped out my pickups in my JM (you might have seen the n00b thread I made about replacing them) but than that didn't work so I took it to a shop. They didn't know much about jazzmasters so they didn't ground or wire the rhythm circuit, which was a bitch to re-solder.

anyways by doing that I fucked up some connections and basically I get this weird clipping/fuzzy sound when using both pickups in the lead circuit (sometimes it happens w/ bridge only too) :-/ and I messed up the grounding so I get a fair amount of hum coming from the pickups. but I ordered some wires and a new switch, I hope I can sort it out :(

Tritone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tritone » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:39 pm

JGZinv wrote:Say can we get the Pickup Wizard aka Peter Leonard added to the first post?
I mean we've got 5+ people now vouching that they are decent.
I know he does custom JM and Jag pickups, but I believe he's mentioned he does other types as well.

His eBay profile is here: http://myworld.ebay.com/thepickupwizard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree. I had two of his Jazzmaster pickups put in my Thin Skin, and I'm quite happy with the results. Now, with the new pickups, the guitar is not quite as bright. Maybe a little more balanced-sounding all around, but these things definitely retain the Jazzmaster flavor. I like 'em!

DrMonju
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DrMonju » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks for being here, guys! I'm rehabbing a 62 Jazzmaster without much to go by, and I never would have figured out how to mount the pickups if not for this forum. What kind of foam works best?

"--well I used to be disgusted
but now I'm just amused . . ."

ChrisFFTA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisFFTA » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:25 pm

goodness me, that fender wiring diagram for the jazzmaster is impossible to follow... are there any others that are vintage correct and easirt to follow (like the SD one?)

light years
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by light years » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:50 pm

El Pr0n wrote:
light years wrote:Bump
It's a sticky :D
Didn't notice at the time :-/