-= Bridge FAQ =-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: -= Bridge FAQ =-

Post by Johnny Alien » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm

I don't want to go with a Mastery bridge so what is considered the better solution. Stock bridge with Mustang saddles or replace the stock one with the whole Mustang bridge?

richey88
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by richey88 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:53 pm

So......I flipped my VMJM bridge around so the screws are facing the pickup and it intonated MUCH better than the other way....I felt like I needed to chop the saddle springs. Am I nuts? Is it better bass-ackwards? anyone else do this?

Lame Pseudonym
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lame Pseudonym » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:05 am

richey88 wrote:So......I flipped my VMJM bridge around so the screws are facing the pickup and it intonated MUCH better than the other way....I felt like I needed to chop the saddle springs. Am I nuts? Is it better bass-ackwards? anyone else do this?
I have taken springs out of Fender bridges, especially on the lower-pitched strings. The pieces do have to go farther back.

I have a Squier with a Tune-O-Matic that is completely in the wrong place. I would have to move the whole bridge back.

LP

BaronvonHeadless
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BaronvonHeadless » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 am

Hey what's the best bridge I could put on my squier mascis? This is my first jazzmaster. Have the typical string popping issue/going out of tune problem that I thought the Tom bridge and squier mascis didn't have. So should I get a roller bridge? All my friends say mastery but I don't think they fit the jmjm do they? I'd have to do some drilling plus pay a shit ton. What are your thoughts? I gig alot and play hard. I need this guitar to be bullet proof by south by southwest. Cheers!

Bandarra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bandarra » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 am

Johnny Alien wrote:I don't want to go with a Mastery bridge so what is considered the better solution. Stock bridge with Mustang saddles or replace the stock one with the whole Mustang bridge?
basically is the same thing. The diference as far as i know between mustang brigde and jaz/jag bridge are the saddles.

you could change the saddles and save some money
or you can change the entire bridge and save some time

i changed the entire bridge on my jag beacause is more simply to put in back or remove it any time i want.

so1om
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by so1om » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 pm

FoolOnThePlanet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FoolOnThePlanet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 am

Hey guys, I'm new around here!
I was directed here after asking some questions elsewhere around the web, but didn't get great answers....ya'll seem real knowledgable so I think I came to the right place! ;D

I have a Squier VM Mustang. I love it...but when I first got it, the G string just wouldn't intonate properly and there was some buzz...I got it set up by a professional and it did get intonated and all was more or less great, but every now and then, I feel like somethings off, like buzzing or vibration in the bridge area, on all the strings.

I'm thinking of replacing the bridge, but since it's my first offset, I'm not super knowledgable...I've found numerous possibilities:
TUSQ saddles
String saver saddles
Standard chrome saddle replacements from allparts or guitarpartsresource
Fender bridge replacement
Warmoth Modified Mustang Bridge replacement

Are there benefits/cons to just replacing the saddles or replacing the whole bridge?
I know the modified mustang bridge is held in pretty high regard, but I feel like I don't understand/benefit from it's upgraded feature
Are regular chrome saddle replacements from a parts site any better than the stock chrome ones that came with the guitar or would I just be replacing them with the same?
I've yet to break a string, so I don't know if the String Savers have any other purpose/feature?

Thanks for any and all help! I truly appreciate it!

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 pm

I purchased a 2012 Squire VM Jaguar and the bridge buzzed like crazy. After looking at the same options that you mention in your post, I settled on the Warmouth modified mustang bridge. I also wrapped teflon tape around the posts. The buzz is all gone and it was worth the price of the new bridge. Good luck to your quest.

FoolOnThePlanet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FoolOnThePlanet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for the reply man, I think I'm gonna go with the modified as well!

FoolOnThePlanet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FoolOnThePlanet » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Just realizing something today...the whole draw to the modified bridge is the individual saddle adjustments...but the VM Mustang comes stock with that...any point in doing this upgrade?? Maybe just thicker strings will stop the buzz??

Goner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Goner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 pm

The blacktop jazzmaster also has individual saddle height adjustment screws and works great on my VM jag -- at half the price.

I bought it from Darren Riley's guitar shop here: http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.ph ... ail&p=3007

Picture for reference:

richey88
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by richey88 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Anyone know where a thread on adding a Wilkinson roller bridge to a VMJM may be? Is this a do-able mod? Thanks!

gdayj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gdayj » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:13 pm

awesome thread.
thanks all for sharing
HERAD guitars

mirbeau
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mirbeau » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:49 pm

BaronvonHeadless wrote:Hey what's the best bridge I could put on my squier mascis? This is my first jazzmaster. Have the typical string popping issue/going out of tune problem that I thought the Tom bridge and squier mascis didn't have. So should I get a roller bridge? All my friends say mastery but I don't think they fit the jmjm do they? I'd have to do some drilling plus pay a shit ton. What are your thoughts? I gig alot and play hard. I need this guitar to be bullet proof by south by southwest. Cheers!
That's pretty unusual from my limited experience, I haven't had that happen with mine even once yet (in nearly two years), and I use the trem continuously when playing. Maybe it's the saddles or something, I'd do a set-up before changing the bridge out. If you're set on a new bridge, I'd recommend a mastery bridge, it's a straight drop in, I have one on my CIJ-JM and it's neat, they're pretty highly rated but sort of pricey. Still prefer the Tune-O-matic though, which I think might be tantamount to heresy in some quarters.

josheboy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by josheboy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:08 pm

mirbeau wrote:
BaronvonHeadless wrote:Hey what's the best bridge I could put on my squier mascis? This is my first jazzmaster. Have the typical string popping issue/going out of tune problem that I thought the Tom bridge and squier mascis didn't have. So should I get a roller bridge? All my friends say mastery but I don't think they fit the jmjm do they? I'd have to do some drilling plus pay a shit ton. What are your thoughts? I gig alot and play hard. I need this guitar to be bullet proof by south by southwest. Cheers!
That's pretty unusual from my limited experience, I haven't had that happen with mine even once yet (in nearly two years), and I use the trem continuously when playing. Maybe it's the saddles or something, I'd do a set-up before changing the bridge out. If you're set on a new bridge, I'd recommend a mastery bridge, it's a straight drop in, I have one on my CIJ-JM and it's neat, they're pretty highly rated but sort of pricey. Still prefer the Tune-O-matic though, which I think might be tantamount to heresy in some quarters.
The mastery isn't a straight drop in replacement on a SQJMJM. The thimbles in the SQJMJM are ridged on the outside, threaded on the inside and have a weird bottom. So you need to replace the thimbles.

I was able to do it without drilling. I bought some thimbles that were able to fit in the holes of the SQJMJM, but needed a little Teflon tape around the outside (I made sure the bottom of the thimble wasn't covered and touching the ground wire). The top of the thimbles weren't flush with the surface of the guitar, but that doesn't matter since its hidden by the bridge anyways.

I ended up putting a staytrem bridge in mine and I love it. Its half price of the mastery and it rules! Once I intonated it and set the height, it has stayed for months with no buzz and no fuss at all. It really is pretty amazing.

See pics of my SQJMJM bridge swap project here: https://plus.google.com/photos/11603560 ... 7809121425