-= Bridge FAQ =-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: -= Bridge FAQ =-

Post by BlueSparkle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:03 pm

SadFuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:54 am
What about Staytrem bridges?
What about them exactly?

When I replaced the mustang bridge on my JM with the Staytrem, ALL the intonation, string spacing and height "issues" simply disappeared. A 5 minute setup change with new strings. Absolutely the best bang for buck I've spent on setup on any guitar I've owned.

My JM had a mustang bridge with 55mm spacing, the staytrem is 52/53mm from memory. the Staytrem intonation is perfect and the bridge's radius is 7.25" which happens to perfectly match the fretboard, and the string heights are spot on, obviously.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rasalrew » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:09 am

Mastery Bridge Question!

I love it. that said...My high E has a buzzing when the guitar is strummed acoustically, It's not really noticeable when plugged in, But I know its there cause I'm 1 foot earshot from the strings. So it erks me.

The buzzing sounds like there's a resonant frequency coming from the bride area of the string. Or Like a very quiet fretted out 12 string. it kind of goes away if lightly mute the string behind the bridge and before the tailpiece (also a mastery). Its Cleared of all the frets and is making contact with a string tree on the headstock. I did a test without the string tree and same issue. Second thought is a high nut slot, which might be causing it?? Idk, seems unlikely.

Curious if anyone had any similar issues, or maybe there a slight imperfection in the slot of my mastery that I can't see. I was going to email woody about it but figured I'd gather some mastery user information before I pester him with something that might not be his issue.

I'll try and get some sound sample up and photos if that helps.

Thank you
https://foreignspeakers.bandcamp.com/

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

Rasalrew wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:09 am
Mastery Bridge Question!

I love it. that said...My high E has a buzzing when the guitar is strummed acoustically, It's not really noticeable when plugged in, But I know its there cause I'm 1 foot earshot from the strings. So it erks me.

The buzzing sounds like there's a resonant frequency coming from the bride area of the string. Or Like a very quiet fretted out 12 string. it kind of goes away if lightly mute the string behind the bridge and before the tailpiece (also a mastery). Its Cleared of all the frets and is making contact with a string tree on the headstock. I did a test without the string tree and same issue. Second thought is a high nut slot, which might be causing it?? Idk, seems unlikely.

Curious if anyone had any similar issues, or maybe there a slight imperfection in the slot of my mastery that I can't see. I was going to email woody about it but figured I'd gather some mastery user information before I pester him with something that might not be his issue.

I'll try and get some sound sample up and photos if that helps.

Thank you
I have had issues with Mastery bridges vibrating/resonating audibly. It is caused by the two bridge bars vibrating together. The only real solution is to put something in between the bridge bars, like a piece of felt or foam. I used one of those little round felt pads that come with strap buttons when I had one.

Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rasalrew » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm

I have had issues with Mastery bridges vibrating/resonating audibly. It is caused by the two bridge bars vibrating together. The only real solution is to put something in between the bridge bars, like a piece of felt or foam. I used one of those little round felt pads that come with strap buttons when I had one.

I'll have to try that out and report back! cheers.
https://foreignspeakers.bandcamp.com/

chrmarl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chrmarl » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:32 am

Does the mustang brigde rock/tilt when using the tremolo? I mean installed in the jazzmaster.
I searched the thread but didn't manage to find this information.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:34 pm

chrmarl wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:32 am
Does the mustang brigde rock/tilt when using the tremolo? I mean installed in the jazzmaster.
I searched the thread but didn't manage to find this information.
Yes it does. The Mustang bridges posts are a smaller diameter than the internal diameter of the thimbles, just like on the stock JM bridge. So there is room to move. The amount of actual movement will depend on things like the string angle / downforce. I have also found that slight variation in the exact location of the thimbles makes a difference. If the thimbles are a fraction wider or narrower apart, or the post positions on the bridge vary similarly, then the posts will not be moving back and forth in the middle of the thimble, at the greatest fore-aft internal diameter of the thimbles; instead the posts are closer to the thimble walls and thus somewhat restricted to 'rolling' back and forth on the internal or external wall of the thimbles. The height of the bridge will also affect the extent of its movement - higher means more.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

chrmarl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chrmarl » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Thx for replying timtam!

One more thing.. Should I use the saddles of the mustang brigde on the stock jazzmaster bridge or should I replace the hole thing?
What would you recommend? ...you or someone else..

strks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strks » Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 am

Hey !
I’d like to change my JMJM bridge for a mastery one.
From what I’ve read here, I’d fill the existing holes, then redrill it and install thimbles.
I can have a press drill for this operation. I’m just a bit scared of the “tolerance” needed for this. Is there a bit of “play” (a small error margin that could be corrected when installing the bridge ?)
Maybe it’s a better idea to use fender thimbles as they have more tolerance than the mastery thimbles ?
Should I be scared about it or there’s no big risk if I’m careful and using a press drill?

chrmarl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chrmarl » Fri May 24, 2019 1:36 am

Finally replaced the original JM bridge with a STAYTREM brigde. Mine is a MIJ JM with 7,25 radius.
It feels like I bought a new guitar. I never had realized that the original bridge was the cause of all these problems (buzzing, lack of sustain, bad playing in general). It is the most significant upgrade someone should do to a JM. Also the 52 mm spacing is better for me, the upper and lower strings never fall of the fretboard any more and of course.. I finally have no worries when I play a little harder cause everything stays on place.
Go for it! Change that bridge!

strks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:01 pm

I'm also thinking about drilling the inner part of a 12mm wood plug before putting it in my JMJM. This way it would not be "dangerous" for the body. and I could use a mastery bridge!
What do you think?

MyJMisdrivingmenuts
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MyJMisdrivingmenuts » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:00 am

Great info.
Maybe I missed something (if so apologies), but shouldn't you also mention the staytrem bridge? I have a mastery and have never tried a staytrem, but it's always good to know the pros and cons of everything.

strks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:12 am

Hey Guys !

Finally did it on my JMJM ! I now have a mastery bridge :)

I bought 12mm wood plug (1meter long), cut it and drilled it (8mm), then sanded the inside part to fit the thimble . I did a few test before having 2 goods "wood converters". If I had a drill press it would have been super easy and quick!

It's really easy, and the most stressful / difficult thing was to remove the TOM inserts

It now works like a charm !

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Since I happened to have three un-installed at one time (and a couple others installed but documented previously,) I decided to make a little post. Caveat - I'm sure there are great and terrible examples of each bridge type, but from my experience beyond the specific/picture examples the AVRI/Vintage units tend to be excellent to perfect, Squier more middling/random, down to MIJ/CIJ which can be anywhere from useable to a nightmare. That said, they all can be made to work- but the work involved goes from 'none/trouble free' to 'messing with required.'

Reviews for all the bridges (not named 'Beau' - sorry Beau) :

AVRI/unknown year: A+
Great bridge; clearances between the saddles and baseplate are *tight* as hell, but the springs are just a bit flimsier than the vintage unit. Intonation screws are cut short so you can freely raise the saddles. Saddles seem to be steel/nickel or some quite magnetic material. No thread pitch change between the saddles, and height adjustment screws are recessed - all the screws are also firm and not rattly or with too great tolerances (note - 17mm legs, this is important later on.)

Vintage/unknown year: A++
I totally disassembled this bridge and massaged all the threads with white grease before re-assembly and use; this is by far the most stable bridge of the group, VERY tight tolerances so no rattles, you can't move any of the saddles with your finger (same applies to the AVRI.) Also, very stiff, thick springs to the point where some people may require them to be cut short in order for the bridge to intonate on your particular guitar.

This is good, as it pretty much kills the ability for the saddles to lose energy or rattle. I forgot to measure the legs, but believe they were long/same as AVRI. Apparently steel/nickel magnetic saddles too.

'96 MIJ: B-
Here's where it gets interesting - the MIJ bridge isn't great. For the biggest plus: The legs are actually shorter by 2mm than any other bridge, and this works better with the shorter modern bridge thimbles in particular. Reason: use any other bridge with the 'short' depth thimbles and your action may not be able to go low enough. No other bridge has this spec. legs. Also - the saddles themselves are a different pitch for the low and high strings, so the grooves are wider at the bass end.

Now for the bad: The clearances are just meh - it's possible to induce rattle if your saddles are not totally level (ex. one is 'hanging' and not touching the base.) The intonation screws may freely wander about their holes in the plate, so you can move say the high-E with your finger if you want to; not good. You can compenesate by stretching the (flimsy) spring. Also - these saddles are apparently zinc, and a lot less zingy than the vintage or AV saddles (you may actually like this; zinc isn't terrible.) Height adjustment hex sizes are all larger from here on out, and the intonation screws can actually interfere with the string if you adjust the saddle high enough (again - not necessary on the AVRI or vintage because they're shorter.)

Last bad thing - this bridge's grandpa out-lived it. The vintage bridge above lasted several decades with no ill effect, but the MIJ's intonation screws and saddles fused together in a giant cloud of corrosion in less than half the time; screw heads twisted off. Replacement are Allparts, which seem to be the exact same spec (despite allegedly being 'nickel.') The plate overall looks pretty terrible for being a lot younger, the chrome is cheap.

'05 CIJ: C-
Pretty terrible bridge. This easily has the worst clearances between the baseplate/intonation screws (wiggle like hell,) flimsiest/short springs, rattliest grub screws; it's bridges like this that make people think Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridges have an inherent bad design. There are bad TOMs, bad Strat vibratos etc. - and this is the Jaguar/Jazzmaster equivalent. It also retains the longer legs of the US and Squier bridges - same in all other aspects as the MIJ, just worse (I fixed mine by stretching the intonation springs an extraordinary amount.)

'12 Squier: B
Actually a damn decent bridge - pretty solid, though not as good as the AVRI or vintage. No rattles whatsoever -but this is the only one I have that has the (allegedly frequent) problem of the two height screws backing off over time. Not really a big deal, but annoying. All other aspects are similar to the CIJ.

AVRI
Vintage
Top-bottom both pics: '96 MIJ/Allparts, '05 CIJ & '12 Squier
LR/TB - CIJ, MIJ, Squier
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

klontart
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by klontart » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 am

Regarding the bridge tilt issue just mentioned, I recently got the Parallel Universe Jazz Tele, a really stunning JM in tele disguise. When I unpacked it I saw the bridge wasn't free floating in the thimbles, but instead it was seated in plastic or nylon adapter rings that fill the gap. My gut response was to remove that crap, hey it's a JM bridge right? But I resisted and tried it for a while. Long story short, I love it. There's still enough 'play' in there for smooth JM style trem action (way more than a Mastery will give you), but the bridge tilt days are over. Pretty cool.

Now I understand the Jazz Tele is designed with American Professional JM parts, so I guess these nylon thimble adapters are a standard part? Does anyone know the name of the these parts, or even have a part number? I'd like to order some more.

Robert

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:42 pm

klontart wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 am
Regarding the bridge tilt issue just mentioned, I recently got the Parallel Universe Jazz Tele, a really stunning JM in tele disguise. When I unpacked it I saw the bridge wasn't free floating in the thimbles, but instead it was seated in plastic or nylon adapter rings that fill the gap. My gut response was to remove that crap, hey it's a JM bridge right? But I resisted and tried it for a while. Long story short, I love it. There's still enough 'play' in there for smooth JM style trem action (way more than a Mastery will give you), but the bridge tilt days are over. Pretty cool.

Now I understand the Jazz Tele is designed with American Professional JM parts, so I guess these nylon thimble adapters are a standard part? Does anyone know the name of the these parts, or even have a part number? I'd like to order some more.

Robert
The Am Pro bridge is p/n 7709942000 but it doesn't come with the nylon anti-rocking bushings. Riley is the only current source AFAIK to buy them separately ...
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 710508000/

Glad to hear that this combination 'works', although Fender's design choices with this bridge / bushing combination are a little curious and merit further examination.

If the bushings do indeed prevent the bridge rocking, then they are basically antithetical to the mechanical principles on which the trem and bridge were designed (as described in Leo's patent), whereby there is high friction between the strings and saddles (due to downforce), which causes the moving strings (with trem use) to grip the saddles and rock the bridge. A non-rocking bridge coupled with a trem requires low-friction saddles, like the Mastery has. Vintage-style JM bridges, Mustang-style (like the Am Pro) and TOM bridges are not ideal in this regard (lubrication and lowered downforce may help when they are used in this unusual non-rocking way).
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 2#p1581362
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.