Jag rewire.. a little confused

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Laika
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jag rewire.. a little confused

Post by Laika » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:26 pm

I'm thinking of doing a total rewire of my CIJ Jag as part of sorting out a noise problem (see my other thread). I'm a little confused as to the correct way to wire it up, I have found three Jag wiring diagrams and the all have slight variations... which one is correct?  ???

One is marked as Fender 1962 - This one all the grounds inc pickups are marked "to brass" .. I guess they are talking about the brass cavity shielding. Main vol pot is marked 1M-A (Audio?) as is the tone pot, rhythm pots are marked 1M-L, 50K-L .. Unable to read Cap or Res values

Seymour Duncan Antiquity - The same but main vol pot is marked as Linear and "no" resistor shown on the tone pot.  .03 cap on main tone, .022 on rhythm tone, .03 on the switch

Seymour Duncan (older looking) - Marked all grounds to brass shield, Main Vol pot is marked "Audio", 56K res on main tone, .01 cap on main tone and rhythm, .003 cap on switch

And to add to the confusion my CIJ Jag has a 103k caps on both tone pots, 56k res on main tone, 332k res on switch. Pot values are the same as normal.

Ok so if I'm going to brass shield all the cavities how should I wire it up? What caps should I go for? (I have SD vintage pickups FWIW), Should the main volume pot be Audio or Linear?

I'm a bit confused with all the variations here  ???

quandar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jag rewire.. a little confused

Post by quandar » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:46 pm

I was personally under the impression that volume was usually a linear pot, I could be wrong.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:27 pm

This one is correct,as to what brands of parts you use is up to you,but all values here are 100%.
The 24" pots are Audio (log) and the 16" pots are linear.Not that it makes much difference.
The resistor is 56k carbon,don't buy the "GENUINE FENDER" ones,the cheaper ones are more authentic to the originals and cost 15cents as opposed to the $3 "FENDER" ones ::)
Capacitors are .01uF x2 and .003uF(microfarads) x1. Ceramic or Film,makes little difference imo.Personally i use nos mylar and ceramic.

You see the black pup wire going to the pots? Well that along with all grounds can be grounded on brass or anywhere you like providing you have interconnected shielding,just make sure one ground wire goes to the back of the vol pot!
Last edited by Pumpkin on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firefly
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firefly » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:55 am

Thanks for posting that diagram up, looks neater then others I have seen around! Should come in handy. Goodluck with your Jag Laika, hope it turns out well!

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:08 am

Firefly wrote: Thanks for posting that diagram up, looks neater then others I have seen around! Should come in handy. Goodluck with your Jag Laika, hope it turns out well!
Ha,i just looked at it cause you said it was neat...i didn't draw it but i added the right caps and resistor,i musta been a noob when i added the resistor because its the wrong colors for a 56k. :-[

Firefly
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firefly » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:14 pm

No worrys, to be honest I have totaly forgotten my resistor colour code! Something I need to revise at some point especialy as I am meant to be starting an electronics job soon.

It looks like a pretty clear diagram compared to others I have seen so I'll most likely be using it myself in a few months.  :)

Laika
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Laika » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:42 pm

Thanks for that Pumpkin, Yours agrees with this Seymour Duncan diagram I had found (I mentioned it as "older looking" in my first post) ... Joy! Now to order some parts.

Anyone know where to buy the "coloured" cloth covered wire from so I can colour code it like the diagram? I'm thinking GPR for most of my parts but they only have the cloth wire in black and white. Thought I'd use orange drop caps.