Jazzmaster pickup comparison

For help with setups and other technical issues.
DFiasco
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jazzmaster pickup comparison

Post by DFiasco » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:14 am

steze13 wrote:
DFiasco wrote:
steze13 wrote: I have the Kinman "Surfmaster" set and they are fantastic, and I am WAY past the honeymoon stage with `em. I have been wanting to put up a demo of them because there is not a single good demo of that pickup out there, and I would have appreciated a good demo when I was considering them. I think since I don't have a web cam I keep putting it off, but maybe I'll get around to it. I'll never go back to regular noisy Jazzmaster pickups again. They're that good.
Have you done a demo?
No, I keep putting it off because I don't have a webcam. Not only that, but I'm super busy, so demoing pickups is sort of low on the priority list.

Still love the pickups though, and I'm way past the honeymoon phase. Honestly I don't see how someone could not like them if they like the way Jazzmaster pickups sound (unless you prefer noise and hum).

Still, I realize it would be helpful to do a demo, as I would have appreciated one when I was considering them.
Thanks!

therobotHUM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by therobotHUM » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 pm

This rules. Thanks for putting this together. Im currently thinking about swapping my antiquity IIs out for something less bright in the bridge position as my JM doesn't have a tone knob ha

therobotHUM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by therobotHUM » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Very cool stuff here. I have a TM with Antiquity IIs and while I think it sounds good, sometimes the bridge is a bit bright. Doesn't help that this model doesn't have a tone knob ha

Jw112
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jw112 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Those Novak JM-Fat's are calling my name! thank you for taking the time to do this. Huge undertaking

Sidneywright_
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Sidneywright_ » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Here is a quick video of my CIJ jazzmaster. Recently, I got the cavities shielded to decrease the humming (which it did)
But there's still a loud hum. I did not get the pickguard shielded. I was wondering what the root of the problem may be and how I can fix it. All replys are welcome! thanks!
http://youtu.be/gui2GZZpCpM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Megasonic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Megasonic » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:04 am

Hi,

I really like your pickup comparison. It is really great. Congrats.

floralshoes
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by floralshoes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:43 pm

Gracias gracias gracias

supernerd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by supernerd » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:37 am

mr. angel...heroic undertaking. I would love to read your personal thoughts on all this one day. I am a huge fan of Novak and his reish pups are as close to spot to the orig. ones in my 1960 that I have ever found.

best wishes...kt

maxoche
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maxoche » Thu May 07, 2015 12:47 am

super!

lnwt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lnwt » Wed May 20, 2015 6:30 am

A+ thread.

Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nick and the Noise » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:13 am

Amazing sound clips! I've never been truly happy with my AVRI pickups - the bridge pickup can sound really thin. After some thorough reading and listening, I've decided to order a set of Antiquity's II. To me, they sound the fullest and have the most bell-like chime. The sound reminds me of later Sonic Youth records, which is no coincidence since Thurston Moore is a heavy user of them. Boutique choices are not really an option for me anyway, because I live in Europe (although we have The Creamery from the UK). Maybe, if I'm in a good mood, I will make a before and after recording...

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:45 am

What a great resource, and it remains to relevant be even after five years. Thanks once again to the Green Angel for going this.

Nick and the Noise wrote:Amazing sound clips! I've never been truly happy with my AVRI pickups - the bridge pickup can sound really thin. After some thorough reading and listening, I've decided to order a set of Antiquity's II. To me, they sound the fullest and have the most bell-like chime. The sound reminds me of later Sonic Youth records, which is no coincidence since Thurston Moore is a heavy user of them. Boutique choices are not really an option for me anyway, because I live in Europe (although we have The Creamery from the UK). Maybe, if I'm in a good mood, I will make a before and after recording...
I just got a set of SD Antiquity II, they're going to replace Squire JMJM stocks. Did you install yours?

Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nick and the Noise » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:02 am

Yes, I installed the Antiquities II. They're amazing, you won't be disappointed! Much warmer and fuller than the AVRIs, no more icepick highs. Originally, I wanted it for the bridge pickup, but the neck pickup is also largely improved. It now has more pronounced piano-like overtones, the ones I recognize from Sonic Youth and Television, especially if you go higher up the neck beyond the 12th.

I don't have a before/after recording, but I will make a recording of the series mod I did, comparing it the Antiquities in parallel. It kills if you're into higher gain stuff. Stay tuned for that! ;)

theletterJ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theletterJ » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:54 am

The Antiquity II's are pretty great. I'm more partial to the I's myself but, I can't believe how good these samples sound, and how noiseless they are. I must be doing something wrong! ;D

steve barnabas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by steve barnabas » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:19 am

hello friends,
any suggest jazzmaster pups, pots and caps for lead circuit?
for me, my squier JMJM sound muddy and dark, lots of bottom end and mid, so i want ot change it, with another pickups... brighter pups, more lower output than stock, more treble but still got bottem end and mid