T-O-M ???

For help with setups and other technical issues.
donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: T-O-M ???

Post by donnyII » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:11 am

jonas-

What kind of TOM do you have?
Behold, THE WIZARD

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:59 am

i use gotoh modern style

mudhoney
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mudhoney » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:11 am

does anybody have any experience with these kind of t-o-m's?

I think they are good idea because they have roller saddles.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:59 pm

That first picture looks identical to the T-O-M on my Reverend which has a bigsby .. it's well-intonated and very hard to put out of tune (which may partly be due to the bigsy itself which is quite a nice unit).

Roller saddles would make sense to me if you're going to use a T-O-M, otherwise you're just getting the strings sliding over the fixed bridge, which was never the intention in the original JM/Jag bridges. I guess it might make it more difficult to match up the radius though .. if you're using a flat radius T-O-M with a vintage radius neck, harder to just file out the saddles .. I can't tell from that pic whether the saddle height is adjustable to vary the radius.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

eyesadrift
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eyesadrift » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:31 pm

yah i just discovered i like nashville TOMs cause there really easy to put in the bridge posts of the JM
you dont have to mod anything like put tons of electrical tape around the poles like for a standard TOM or drill out the bridge holes for the modern TOM
the studs for the nashville toms are small enough to fit inside of the metal posts of the bridge

hope im kinda making sense

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:54 am

i´m sorry, but i really don´t see the point in using a T-O-M if the bridge posts aren´t going to be anchored to the body. to me, the benefits of a T-O-M aren´t caused by the bridge itself, but by the fact that it (if installed the way gibson intended) provides a solid contact between the strings and the body. take away that factor, and you´re left with something that´s less solid (more loose parts) than a stock JM bridge.

eyesadrift
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eyesadrift » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:31 pm

mynameisjonas wrote: i´m sorry, but i really don´t see the point in using a T-O-M if the bridge posts aren´t going to be anchored to the body. to me, the benefits of a T-O-M aren´t caused by the bridge itself, but by the fact that it (if installed the way gibson intended) provides a solid contact between the strings and the body. take away that factor, and you´re left with something that´s less solid (more loose parts) than a stock JM bridge.
yah thats true i had problems with my standard TOM
but with the nashville option it was alot studdier then youd think
basicly the downward pressure of strings kept the studs of the tom bridge flush with the posts of the jazz
basicly its just sitting on top of it
  i was very surpized myself
it didnt move at all

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:59 pm

really? well i haven´t tried it myself so who am i to judge... :-[

but doesn´t the bridge wiggle when you use the trem?

eyesadrift
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eyesadrift » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:41 am

mynameisjonas wrote: really? well i haven´t tried it myself so who am i to judge... :-[

but doesn´t the bridge wiggle when you use the trem?
yah it does but very slightly i had to look very close to even  notice it
i have to say its alot better then the electrical tape option
Last edited by eyesadrift on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:35 pm

I'd like to try one of those rosewood adjustable style bridges you find on a lot of jazz guitars and, more importantly, the sorta jag-y harmony guitars. 

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:06 am

I just put a TOm on my jag (again,im always changing) and i just ordered a nashville for my mustang,i got a old ABR on the mustang now and its entirely taped in and its solid as.I had this same taped in ABR on my jag to begin with and there is no way that you will ever have loose parts or what ever providing you use enough tape around the posts for a snug fit.I use the trem like thurston/mascis and i never had a problem,as for the radius i just set the 3rd and 4th string action at 2mm( or what ever your action is) then file 1,2,5,6  saddle groves down to match  2mm,and voila! fender radius TOM.
Just last month i swore by a jag bridge,now im putting toms on all my guitars,i have reached a final decision that they are best for my style.

So get a nashville and use tape and don't bother drilling your jag/jazz for nothing,it looks and feels identical,but you will have to precisely adjust your
action with paper thin (business cards etc)shims in the neck pocket because action is disabled via the posts.But you can(if you want) have action adjustment if you sit the nashville thimbles in the jag ones.since they are so small i doubt youd even notice it.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:30 am

The Fender "Adjust-o-matic" bridge on my CIJ Jag Special is stamped "GOTOH" on the underside. Tailpiece, same.

Which would seem to indicate that finding a "correct" replacement wouldn't be too difficult.

Since they didn't even bother rebranding them, I think it's highly likely that "Fender Adjust-o-matic" is just a synonym for "Gotoh TOM."
-=264=-

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:44 am

Heres some photos i took a while back of my Jaguar with a T-O-M,it's not angled and it's an Intonation dream.it's also got the proper Fender radius too,courtesy of a shity little file.

Oh, I've never had a string break either. 8)

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Ender76 wrote: On my JM, I got some black rubber tubing (the shrink-wrap kind for electrical wiring), cut it to length and also cut it along the side, so I could wrap it around the bridge post.  The bridge now fits snuggly into the postholes and doesn't rock anymore.  (Also, I put Graphtech saddles on it.)
I wrapped mine in electrical tape so it doesn't move. How are the graphtech saddles? been contimplating them.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:10 am

When I called Paul Chandler about installing a TOM on my JM, he said I'd ruin the guitar, that the strings would never line up over the polepieces on the pickups.  He was wrong.  They line up perfectly over the bridge pickup, and just as off from the neck pickup as the stock bridge was.  The thing about the Gotoh TOM is the 2.0625in (52.39mm) string spread.  Near as I can tell, because the bridge is not angled, it matches exactly what a stock JM bridge string-spread is supposed to be.  It would make sense than that a Nashville TOM is better for a Jaguar or Mustang because the string-spread on those is 2.03125in (51.56mm).  Because the scale of the Jag/Mustang is shorter, even though they use the same bridge assembly, the string-spread at the bridge is narrower.  Or at least it could be.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024