Replacement P-90s?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
idiotbear

Re: Replacement P-90s?

Post by idiotbear » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:15 am

The Bare Knuckles work out at about $110 - $115, so once you factor in shipping, that's like $30 more than Curtis's pickups. If you did want to, though, I'd be more than happy to mail them out to you under the guise of broken and worthless equipment to avoid customs charges. :)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:51 am

Since I'm kind of thinking about putting two new ones in, the lower the price is, the better. So, I reckon the Bare Knuckles are out at this point.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 am

TVJones has started doing P90's, his Gretsch pickups are off the scale good, so Imagine these cut the mustard. The demo sounds magic to me, most demos have total tone suckage not this one.

Tom's a bit of a gent to deal with too.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:20 pm

shadowplay wrote:TVJones has started doing P90's, his Gretsch pickups are off the scale good, so Imagine these cut the mustard. The demo sounds magic to me, most demos have total tone suckage not this one.

Tom's a bit of a gent to deal with too.

D
Wow, that demo sure makes them sound good. At $95 and $105 (neck, bridge) they're on the expensive end of things, though.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Well, what the heck, I just ordered a matched RWRP set of Lollar P-90s. They shipped about a half-hour after I placed my order, so double w00t for Lollar!

bighonky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bighonky » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Maggieo wrote:Well, what the heck, I just ordered a matched RWRP set of Lollar P-90s. They shipped about a half-hour after I placed my order, so double w00t for Lollar!
I hope they blow yer freakin' mind, Maggie! Keep us posted. ;D

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:50 pm

bighonky wrote:
Maggieo wrote:Well, what the heck, I just ordered a matched RWRP set of Lollar P-90s. They shipped about a half-hour after I placed my order, so double w00t for Lollar!
Well, I've got Lollars in my Thinline Tele and my Esquire and love them, so I reckon my mind will be blown with the P-90s, too!

They should arrive on Wednesday!

Guitar GeeK
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Guitar GeeK » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:00 pm

artie wrote:
Guitar GeeK wrote:How 'bout Semour Duncan? If you contact them, they can custom wind you a set, or one for the neck pickup, like you need. Why you haven't Duncan first is beyond me. Just saying :-/
not that seymour duncans are bad but i'd imagine fralins, novaks and lollars are all more desirable than duncans. which is maybe why duncan wasn't mentioned first. also.. i know curtis novak always custom winds the pickups, the others might have that option as well (i have only bought from curtis)

c'mon now. a true "Guitar GeeK" would be all over those before dunans ;)
OK How bout Häussel Pickups? they can actually make a humbucker that can fit in the hole of a P-90.

artie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by artie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Guitar GeeK wrote:
OK How bout Häussel Pickups? they can actually make a humbucker that can fit in the hole of a P-90.
never heard of haussel pickups. don't worry, i wasn't trying to outdo you in pickup knowledge... so we don't need to pull rulers out.
seymour duncans aren't usually on top of the food chain for guitar nerds, so i was just having a laugh at your user name. hence the ;) at the end

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Guitar GeeK wrote:
artie wrote:
Guitar GeeK wrote:How 'bout Semour Duncan? If you contact them, they can custom wind you a set, or one for the neck pickup, like you need. Why you haven't Duncan first is beyond me. Just saying :-/
not that seymour duncans are bad but i'd imagine fralins, novaks and lollars are all more desirable than duncans. which is maybe why duncan wasn't mentioned first. also.. i know curtis novak always custom winds the pickups, the others might have that option as well (i have only bought from curtis)

c'mon now. a true "Guitar GeeK" would be all over those before dunans ;)
I think Gibson made something like that....

Kilgore Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:12 pm

Maggieo wrote:
bighonky wrote:
Well, I've got Lollars in my Thinline Tele and my Esquire and love them, so I reckon my mind will be blown with the P-90s, too!

They should arrive on Wednesday!
Cool! I'd like to read your impression of them.
I wish to propose a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. - Bertrand Russell

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 pm

I'll post 'em when I've got 'em. :)

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 am

Mr.Ripely wrote:Mighty Mite P-90's, they're cheap as chips and they sound good. There's no point paying hundreds of dollars on pickups when there are GFS and mighty mite equivalents that use the same materials and sound just as good. There is no magical fairy dust that lollar or seymore duncan sprinkle on their pickups, I'm not saying they don't make good pickups I'm just saying that the P-90 is not a special or especially complicated design and it doesn't seem to justify the extra cash when equal quality pickups are out there for less.
Hmmm, I do not agree on this. You can't compare run of the mill pu's with handmade ones. I'm not saying I got "supersonic hearing" or know "geekalot' about pu's, but I defitely hear the difference. I agree GFS and Mighty Mite are fine pu's for their price, but they do not compare to Novak's/Lollat/etc....
I have a cheap set of Artec P-90's and they sound ok, I even like 'em, but they just sound average...

bighonky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bighonky » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:41 am

Hey Maggie, let us now how those Lollars sound! BTW, which telecaster pups of his do you have?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:17 am

Oh bugger! Forgot to post!

The Lollars arrived and have been installed and I think they sound wonderful, if less beefy than the Gibson P-90s. They're more open and single-coil sounding, but with a midrange boost that isn't in the Fender pickups. I'd say the Gibson PUPs are fatter, darker and, in comparison, muddier that the Lollar P-90s. Also, the Lollars are wired to be hum-canceling when both of them are on, just like on my Jazzmaster. I'd say they're a big win, because they've got the ring and chime and definition of a single coil, but with the output of a humbucker, so they go to the RAWK place really easily. Oh, and at lower volumes, you get that nice greasy blues sound that T-Bone Walker and those cats had.

B, I've got Lollar 52T pickups in the bridges and a Charlie Christian for Tele in the neck of the Thinine.