trem breaking strings?!?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

trem breaking strings?!?

Post by Professor Plum » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:26 pm

alright, so i really wish i knew what was happening but i cant seem to figure it out. i got my set up on my JM just how i like it, the trem action is smooth, the whole deal. everything is perfect EXCEPT I KEEP BREAKING HIGH E STRINGS!!!!!

i think it has something to do with the trem (and i love to use my trem, alot! :'() because if i push down on the trem, and then pull up again, ill hear a "ping" thats the tone of the plucked high e behind the bridge. is something not seating right or binding? it dosent look like it, but after that happens a few times the string just impondes at teh ball end, and is dead. i really need some ideas, becasue this problem is turning a guitar i would play all day into one i dont even wanna look at kuz i know ill replace strings if i use it and trem it how i want to.  :'(
make feedback, not war. pick it up! pick it up! up, up!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: trem breaking strings?!?

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:28 pm

I had the same problem and it was fixed by switching brands of strings, of all things.  Fender strings have worked for me and Rotosounds and Thomasilk have worked for others.

It's a crazy offset thing.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:40 pm

Are you using D'Addarios?  I had nothing but probs with those, so I switched to Rotosounds.  They sound great, don't break, and if they were to, each set comes with an extra high E string.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:43 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Are you using D'Addarios?  I had nothing but probs with those, so I switched to Rotosounds.   They sound great, don't break, and if they were to, each set comes with an extra high E string.
i am, but the extras (singles) i have been useing for the hi e has been ernie balls.

maggie, even the ping went away? thats nuts...

it looks like im changeing strings, which is ok but sometimes you could get the like 10 pack od dadarios from guitar hell for cheeeeeeeep. o well my jazzy is worth it :-*

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Crazy as it sounds, changing strings fixed all sorts of stuff.  :o
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:59 pm

I also use d'Addario's as I'm very fond of their Chrome Flatwound set.(I hate changing strings and these last forever, hence my choice for them)
The old FDP gave a good salution to the problem. A small dab of solder on the windings of the high E string at the ball end. (I also do the B string as well, while I'm at it)
a bit of work, but I never had any string breaks again due the high E unwinding itself due the shalliow angle of the trem to the bridge.
I usually put the solder on once the strings are on the guitar, but still not tuned, since I don't have 3 hands. ;D

It's funny though that this is a problem that only seams to exist with d'Addario strings.....
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

Haddock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Haddock » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:01 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Are you using D'Addarios?  I had nothing but probs with those, so I switched to Rotosounds.   They sound great, don't break, and if they were to, each set comes with an extra high E string.
I'm the mildest soft-rocking bedroom guitarist on Earth, and I've had two high-E d'Addarios (11s roundwound) break on me in the last months. I was not even using the trem IIRC, last time it was on a one-tone bend.  ::)

I've ordered some Thomastiks 11 flats now, enough with this crap.
“Man does not cease to play because he grows old; man grows old because he ceases to play.” -- George Bernard Shaw

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:20 pm

thanks guys/girls.
i guess im changeing string brands then...

any suggestions, the rotosounds and thomastiks were the ones that first come to mind if im auctually going to spend money on strings...
maggie, are you useing teh fender flats like that come with JM/jags or rounds?

(im looking for rounds btw)

surfcreature
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfcreature » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:15 am

Yeah I always break the top E when I put D'Addarios on my guitars (any of 'em offset or otherwise) and it usually happens within 24 hours of me putting them on.  :wtf:

I use Rotosound now and they seem to last forever (although I usually change strings every 3 months regardless).

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 am

I use daddarios all the time, I never break strings.

You might have a burr on your saddle or tailpiece (the hole the string passes thru)

bighonky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bighonky » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:54 am

Try GHS Boomers. Or DR Pure Blues. I go back and forth. Right now, I have 10 1/2 Boomers on my JM.  :D
Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going to weren't never there. And where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

jgs61
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jgs61 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:21 am

OffYourFace wrote: I use daddarios all the time, I never break strings.

You might have a burr on your saddle or tailpiece (the hole the string passes thru)
This is exactly what I was about to say. I have never broken a Daddario and I use my trem all the time. I would think it would be a burr too.

jop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jop » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:56 am

jgs61 wrote:
OffYourFace wrote: I use daddarios all the time, I never break strings.

This is exactly what I was about to say. I have never broken a Daddario and I use my trem all the time. I would think it would be a burr too.
[broken tape mode] +1 [/broken tape mode]

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:36 am

I use pure nickel strings so it's not always easy to find brands that aren't d'Addario. I'm going to try putting electrical tape over the ball end of the string and that whole general area and see what happens... It's a nuisance.

fibreman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fibreman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:24 am

I use D'Addarios on everything and break a string maybe once a year, tops.

String experimentation is going to be my new years resolution for 2010 I think, though.