Re: Finish prob...Guitar Stand perhaps???

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Finish prob...Guitar Stand perhaps???

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:27 pm

I just found a blemish in the finish of my brand new AVRI Jazzmaster.  I took it to one gig and it sat on my guitar stand for a couple hours...   :( :( :(
It appears that the blemish is where the guitar rests on the stand.  This is the stand I use:
http://www.axetopia.com/items/RockStand/RSTRS5.htm
Anyone else use these, or know if this could cause a mark?  It looks like a smudge, but I can't get it out.

I thought the foam style stands were okay for nitro.    I need some serious finish care tips. 

Finding this mark four days after recieving my new guitar makes me not want to even take it out of the house! :'(

Please help!

According to the Rockstand site, it is safe for all finishes, so maybe with the right polish, the smudge could come out?
Last edited by RumorsOFsurF on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:33 pm

I have heard of nitro finished guitars reacting to the foam of stands...could be that :(
Resident Spartan.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:46 pm

Take a couple of old t-shirts (plain ones without rubber/ink/whatever on them), slice them up, and wrap that foam a few times. You can use regular old sewing thread to tie them on. Or be creative. I don't know how to get the smudges out but the products discussed in this thread might be of use. Also, check #8 here in the "'Don't" section.
Bigger in sum than parts.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:46 pm

I bought a newer AVRI Jaguar off of eBay a while back that has some of these marks. it is olympic white, so they are real easy to see. There are multiple ones on the butt end of the body from sitting on a stand in different positions. There is even a place on the backside of the upper bout where a reciept or something has bled onto the finish and is now inside of it. I think they are pretty much there for good. It doesn't bother me any. But to help keep yours from getting any more, you can cover the areas that contack the guitar in synthetic animal fur. I use a shorter hair type that Walmart sells. It works wonders. Beyond that, the Fender case stands are covered with the same material as their cases, which won't harm the finish.

Justin
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:14 pm

the foam reacts with some finishes.. not just staining the top but changing the color straight through the finish. the binding on my old Ric 360 got black marks from the stand I kept it on, it actually melted a small bit of it  :o

I don't use guitar stands anymore  :-\

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:42 pm

No matter what they say on their site, if your JM didn't have a mark on it before and now it has a mark where it rested on the stand, it's pretty obvious that's the cause. I've got a Rick with black marks from a stand .. they won't buff out as the finish itself has changed colour.

A good thing to cover a stand would be some kind of undyed cotton, like T-shirt material if you can get it in no colour (just the plain cotton) .. as luau says a lot of guys use old T-shirts without any problems. Justin, I didn't know about the synthetic fur .. that sounds like a cool idea too.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:53 pm

mezcalhead wrote: Justin, I didn't know about the synthetic fur .. that sounds like a cool idea too.
Yeah, I've used it for years with good results. Another cool thing I did at one point was modifying a Rockcase brand flight case guitar rack. It came stock with a big tall piece that folded out to hold the necks. It was originally made for 7 guitars and the tubing was covered with that black foam rubber. I cut the arms down to be a little shorter so it gripped the necks closer to the body, made a new piece to hold the necks out of plywood (cut for 6, not 7 which was much roomier), then covered it in the black fur. Now it looks a lot like the expensive anvil ones and works just as well for about 1/3 of the price. I rpobably wouldn't tour with it, but it works well for home use. Plus it still folds up and is easily transportable.

Justin
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:23 pm

mezcalhead wrote: No matter what they say on their site, if your JM didn't have a mark on it before and now it has a mark where it rested on the stand, it's pretty obvious that's the cause. I've got a Rick with black marks from a stand .. they won't buff out as the finish itself has changed colour.
It just breaks your heart, doesn't it? :(  This is my first nitro guitar. I'll just have to be more careful. I also need to get in to the habit of wiping it down when I'm done playing.  Shouldn't be a problem.  I ordered some non-silicone cleaner, and cotton flannel cloths from Stewart Mac
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:52 pm

Some foam stands kill nitro like crazy. I have two which are nitro safe though. My guitar rack is nitro safe, I forgot what brand it was though, maybe warwick.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:42 am

I've used one of the basic Warwick Rockstands for 3 years now, with zero damage to the nitro finishes on my SG and AVRI JM. I'd heard that foam can damage nitro finishes before I bought it, so I was careful to watch out for any marks but it hasn't caused any in the 3 years that i've had it.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:18 am

I've got a few guitars with the finish at the base of the headstock eaten right through by crap-ola rubber tubing on stands. I just tore the tubing off and used a zillion wraps of electrical tape and it doesn't seem to harmed them and further.

No experience with the foam, but I HATE the tan tubing.
Stone Deaf In The U.S.A.