Bubbling Broth & A Big Bible...wonky guard issues!!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bubbling Broth & A Big Bible...wonky guard issues!!

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm

...just been told to immerse my VERY wonky yet rather lovely 11 hole pickguard in boiling water (or broth) to soften the material. Then press it in under some big fookin book or bed or something!! Good tip. Though about clamps'n'allsorts. You live & learn on this site. Oh, your guard will spontaneously combust if you use the wrong heat. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I bet someone posted this advice already!!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Bubbling Broth & A Big Bible...wonky guard issues!!

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:26 pm

Resident Spartan.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Thanks for the links Zhivago. Like the other chap I'm missing the Florida sun. London rains all I'm getting at the mo. I've recently bought a '59 pickguard with a '61 aluminium shield. The two were a bargain but the guard has shrunk over the years making it about 1mm smaller all the way around. Its a bit of a headfuck. The guards got 11 holes, my body has 13, yet I still have to drill another hole (I haven't yet though). Also I might have to trim the aluminium sheild so it doesn't stick out. And it buckled. Aaaaarrgghh!! I guess this is what happens when you mix'n'match vintage stuff.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:01 am

hmmm...yeah, it can be tricky with shrunken guards...

I recently bought this:

has a matching 1st generation shield too...I was lucky there isn't much warping...but my old guard on a '64 Jazzmaster I sold earlier this year was badly warped, and the glass sheet technique fixed it pretty good

it will be  a bit of a pain to get the guard on, but it'll be totally worth it in the end...that old tortoiseshell looks so nice....they definitely don't make them like that anymore :)
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:53 pm

jazzheadmark wrote: Thanks for the links Zhivago. Like the other chap I'm missing the Florida sun. London rains all I'm getting at the mo. I've recently bought a '59 p Also I might have to trim the aluminium sheild so it doesn't stick out. And it buckled. Aaaaarrgghh!!
A lot of the time the shields will stick out slightly because of a shrunken guard. I think it looks kind of neat. Mine do this in certain areas.

Justin.
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:40 am

Yeah. Mine too. The screws are slightly wonky too. Hardly noticable. I made the mistake of having it rewired & taped before I straightened out the guard though.
Sooner or later I'm gonna have to strip it down so I can flatten it out.