Depth of the Jag mute slug hole?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Depth of the Jag mute slug hole?

Post by the older brother » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Anyone have a measurement of that?

As I'm quite noob with jags and are about to add the mute (RI) to a CIJ Jag I'd like to know what's the depth of that hole. I guess it is different on AVRI's and vintage ones as the screws/springs are very different, so the depth od an AVRI would be the best.

Thanks!

- Jerker
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: Depth of the Jag mute slug hole?

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:00 am

Good question....

I'd take my AVRI apart, but the slug doesn't come out when I remove the mute.  It's still recessed way below the surface of the body....I don't know how I'd get it out without damaging the surrounding finish.  :(
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:28 am

The problem is ... is the spring used in the 60s was longer but with a lower value "k"  (Force = k.distance compressed).

So if you have a vintage spring/slug then the top of the slug is usually level with the top of the guard...  but will sit compressed as little because the slug will normally sit under the guard.

for mordern repro springs/slugs I suspect the depth of the hole is still the same as the vintage, but the spring/slug sit lower  (modern spring is shorter)  .

I have a feeling the depth of the hole is approximately the same depth as the trem and main control routes ... about 36mm

each time I have drilled a hole for a mute/slug I have drilled it about 30mm , the tried to fit the mute and kept on lowering the hole depth until the mute fitted/worked.

relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:04 am

Thanks David.

You think the AVRI is the same as the Vintage - I ask Doug how deep the hole on his pink piece of wood is!
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:26 am

David, you are a wealth of Jaguar info ...  8)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:10 pm

If anyone else is lurking and want to know:

According to Doug is the mute slug hole ~35mm on his Shell pink Jaguar - or as he pu it himself:
1 3/8"  which I believe is  1.375" or 34.925 mm...
So Sook is absolutely correct when he's assuming same depth as the trem route - 36 mm (you have to bear in mind that Dougs Jag is sanded down to bare wood at least three times (two by himself and one back when it was stripped for poo finish the first time) - so that have very likely taken that last mm.

Thanks boys!

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:26 pm

the older brother wrote: If anyone else is lurking and want to know:

According to Doug is the mute slug hole ~35mm on his Shell pink Jaguar - or as he pu it himself:
1 3/8"  which I believe is  1.375" or 34.925 mm...
So Sook is absolutely correct when he's assuming same depth as the trem route - 36 mm (you have to bear in mind that Dougs Jag is sanded down to bare wood at least three times (two by himself and one back when it was stripped for poo finish the first time) - so that have very likely taken that last mm.

Thanks boys!
Yeah... and dont forget the toothpick method is not exact. I was thinking 35 mm or whatever the main cavities are. Sook is right on... if not exact!

8)
Q. Are we not men?

DWO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DWO » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:53 pm

Great info in this thread.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:47 am

It appears, but I would suspect cannot be so, that the vintage Jaguar mute is very similar tot he vintage bass vi mute; anyone happen to know the minuet differences?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."