TVL Jazzmaster bridge vs Staytrem

For help with setups and other technical issues.
wildcatstrat
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

TVL Jazzmaster bridge vs Staytrem

Post by wildcatstrat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 pm

Started my offset collection with a Squier Vintage Modified and somewhat recently picked up a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster. Can I expect much of an upgrade from the TVL bridge if I get a Staytrem? I know they are fairly similar.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: TVL Jazzmaster bridge vs Staytrem

Post by javier-san » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm

not enough for you to spend 100+ IMHO

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: TVL Jazzmaster bridge vs Staytrem

Post by timtam » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 pm

The stock bridge on the TVL is basically the Marr jag bridge (ie Mustang-style with anti-sink nylon bushings on the bottom of the posts). The Marr bridge was designed around the same time as the Staytrem by some of the same people. Although the early Marr bridges had ~56 E-E spacing (cf 52mm on the Staytrem), as well as missing some other Staytrem features (offset intonation screws without springs; the latest Staytrem has a few extra minor enhancements). The TVL version did have a unique part number in the original 2014 parts manual, possibly due to the plated brass saddles (linked below):
22 BRIDGE ASSY TROY VAN L JZMSTR 7702080000
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 4-2014.pdf

The TVL should have ~52mm E-E spacing, and the plated brass saddles (cf steel on the Marr).
viewtopic.php?t=120053

They didn't change the parts manual for the more recent copper-colour/maple neck ones, so I assume the bridge is the same. Web page still says brass saddles ...
"Jazzmaster® Bridge with Nickel-Plated Brass Mustang® Saddles"

So all in all, not much to be gained with a Staytrem.

NB The Marr bridge is now sold by Fender as the "American Professional" 7.25" radius bridge, even though it has never been on an Am Pro series guitar.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.