CP Jaguar Clean Up

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

CP Jaguar Clean Up

Post by mikeehairdo » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:28 am

I recently reacquired my old CP Jaguar after having sold it several years previous, and I'm eternally surprised at what an absolutely solid guitar it is. I ended up taking work off yesterday and used the unexpected free time to finally dive in and give this jag a good cleaning and proper set up.

Upon removing the tremolo, control plates and pickguard, I discovered some not-so-great looking gunk clinging to the body:

This leads me to believe that the guitar has seen some water at some point between when I sold it and reacquired it. I tried a damp cloth and some vinegar solution so as not damage the finish further, but this is some persistent dirt and didn't make a lot of difference. My plan is to ultimately part out the body and hardware and keep the neck for a more vintage-correct build I'm planning. I'm wondering what the best course of action would be to clean this up without harming the finish. It's a pretty thick coat of poly, so I doubt it'll be *too* much to remove it, I just thought I'd be better off asking the community before hitting it with the GooGone.

Original pickguard mid-set up pic for attention:

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CP Jaguar Clean Up

Post by alexpigment » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:43 am

I would try Ronsonol/naptha. That will get off most gunk from any surface, and won’t harm the finish. Also, PM me if you’re thinking of getting rid of the body! :)