Jaguar fret buzz issue

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MaartenAars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar fret buzz issue

Post by MaartenAars » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:23 am

My jaguar is suffering from alot of fret buzz and i don't know how to fix it. I've adjusted the truss rod in all sorts of ways (hope I didn't break it). I've also tried putting my bridge way too high, but nothing helps. I thought about buying the AllParts Buzz Stop hoping it would fix it, but I saw that people mainly use it to fix the bridge issue for strings slipping out of the saddles. But since I have the newer version of the bridge (looks like a mustang bridge) I don't really have this issue. I just want to fix the fret buzz. But still, I think this could work since the string tension would be higher.

If anyone could let me know if the AllParts Buzz Stop would work, or if anyone knows another solution, please let me know!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar fret buzz issue

Post by GilmourD » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:47 am

MaartenAars wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:23 am
My jaguar is suffering from alot of fret buzz and i don't know how to fix it. I've adjusted the truss rod in all sorts of ways (hope I didn't break it). I've also tried putting my bridge way too high, but nothing helps. I thought about buying the AllParts Buzz Stop hoping it would fix it, but I saw that people mainly use it to fix the bridge issue for strings slipping out of the saddles. But since I have the newer version of the bridge (looks like a mustang bridge) I don't really have this issue. I just want to fix the fret buzz. But still, I think this could work since the string tension would be higher.

If anyone could let me know if the AllParts Buzz Stop would work, or if anyone knows another solution, please let me know!
A Buzz Stop won't affect fret buzz at all.

It's very likely you have uneven fret heights. However, without knowing what your action and relief are set to that's just guessing.

MaartenAars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MaartenAars » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:40 am

GilmourD wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:47 am
MaartenAars wrote:

It's very likely you have uneven fret heights. However, without knowing what your action and relief are set to that's just guessing.
I think a big part of the problem is my neck. I got my truss rod almost fully loose, but I still don’t have enough upbow. That’s the reason why I thought the buzz stop could maybe work, if it does increase string tension (idk if it does, just hoping so)

Sorry I’m new on this site so I don’t know how to add pictures.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:51 am

MaartenAars wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:40 am
GilmourD wrote:
MaartenAars wrote:

I think a big part of the problem is my neck. I got my truss rod almost fully loose, but I still don’t have enough upbow. That’s the reason why I thought the buzz stop could maybe work, if it does increase string tension (idk if it does, just hoping so)

Increased tension of the same exact string would actually increase pitch, otherwise would require a heavier string to increase tension at the same pitch. Perceived tension is actually a function of height and angle.

I typically use www.Imgur.com. It's free and you don't even have to create an account to upload. You just won't have any library of your own images to refer back to. Once you upload, if you click on the upper right corner of the image you can select Share Options and copy the BBCode to paste into your posts.

MaartenAars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MaartenAars » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:32 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:51 am
MaartenAars wrote:
GilmourD wrote:

Increased tension of the same exact string would actually increase pitch, otherwise would require a heavier string to increase tension at the same pitch. Perceived tension is actually a function of height and angle.

I typically use www.Imgur.com. It's free and you don't even have to create an account to upload. You just won't have any library of your own images to refer back to. Once you upload, if you click on the upper right corner of the image you can select Share Options and copy the BBCode to paste into your posts.

Is it possible that my neck simply needs a shim? I’ve read on reddit that this could fix it. That’s what some guy said at least.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:37 pm

MaartenAars wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:32 pm
GilmourD wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:51 am
MaartenAars wrote:

Is it possible that my neck simply needs a shim? I’ve read on reddit that this could fix it. That’s what some guy said at least.
That could contribute to the overall setup issue, but is mostly related to getting the neck angle correct for proper bridge height.

Where do you live? We OSGers are worldwide so somebody may potentially know a good resource for you to get a proper offset setup. Heck, I even do setup work if you're local to Bergen County, New Jersey, in the states.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:14 pm

The main solution is to set the guitar up properly.
MaartenAars wrote:
A buzz stop won't do anything that affects fret buzz, as GilmourD already mentioned.

How much neck relief is there? Actually measured neck relief, not just eyeballed 'not enough'.

How to measure neck relief on guitar or bass - Fender.com

If you don't have feeler gauges old guitar strings can be a reasonable substitute to at least get a ball park measurement (assuming you have a .010"/.011"/.012" floating around).

Set neck relief, bridge/saddle height, then intonation.

If significant fret buzz remains once properly setup they'll need a level and recrown.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

B.T.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B.T. » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:40 pm

Get a fret rocker level and check for uneven frets aka rocking between one fret to another. Sometimes a light tap with a non-marring mallet can pop a fret back in if it's just one or two but more than that you're probably looking a worn out fretboard or a bad fret job out of the factory. Level and crown would be in order.