*Possible* Replacement Bridge for Vintera 60s JM

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

*Possible* Replacement Bridge for Vintera 60s JM

Post by Squareball » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:37 am

Well, I've just ordered a Vintera 60s Jazzmaster in IBM and whilst waiting for delivery I'm stupidly scouring the internet for accessories -
Strap, Which hat knobs, guitar stand etc.
I realised though, that I *might* need to replace the stock bridge.
Now, I know I'm jumping the gun and should see what the stock bridge is like first, but please indulge me!
Does anyone know which bridge would be suitable as a replacement for the Vintera JM?
(BTW it's the vintage bridge JM with a 7.25”-radius fingerboard and not the Modern JM with a TOM.)
Any ideas? Staytrem? Mustang bridge?
Thanks in advance. :)
May the Fuzz be with you

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: *Possible* Replacement Bridge for Vintera 60s JM

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:39 am

My favourite is the AVRI bridge.

Don't know if that's any different to the 'Vintera' one.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:39 am

Same bridge, Vintera is Mexican. AVRI is American.

To the OP, I’d give it at least a few weeks with the stock bridge, it really adds to the liveliness of a Jazzmaster. I had to change to a Staytrem on my Jazzmaster eventually, got fed up adjusting the stock bridge every few weeks. It’s definitely a worthy upgrade, but the slightest shade of the sound is lost.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 pm
got fed up adjusting the stock bridge every few weeks.
If you use Loctite blue/purple on the fasteners you don't need to adjust them every few weeks/ever again.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:11 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:04 pm
Mondaysoutar wrote:
got fed up adjusting the stock bridge every few weeks.
If you use Loctite blue/purple on the fasteners you don't need to adjust them every few weeks/ever again.
Aye, I’d read that man, and it’s good to have the option to go back to it because the guitar does sound at its best with the stock. But, being in the Scotland, getting a Staytrem was no hassle and all things considered, it’s definitely an excellent bridge for a Jazzmaster, some say the best.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Give it a week, see how you feel.

Staytrem or Mastery are both great replacements, if needed.

You may need to shim the neck, and shimming the neck may solve your bridge problems, if you have any. If you do shim your neck, use a stew Mac full length neck pocket shim. Buy a 0.25 degree and a 0.5 degree shim, start with the 0.25, and go from there, all the way up to 0.75 degrees stacking both together.

Legend has it Leo Fender designed the Jazzmaster to be shimmed, but somehow Fender forgot this and omits the shim from the CBS/ reissue onwards. It could be true. Leo was an accountant first, and designer second. He would have known using the same neck routing machines and process on the jazz as the Strat and tele - and then adding shim - is cheaper than changing the route to include an angle. Many people swear by shims.

Shims increase the break angle over the saddle, increasing downward force. Rattles, excess behind the saddle harmonics, and strings popping out are reduced or eliminated. i shimmed my Mexican Standard Jazzmaster with a 0.5 degree shim because I had some buzzing on the G string saddle. I’ve never had a problem since, although I wish I had started at 0.25 degrees. I’m in the uk and shipping of shims is expensive from the USA.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:30 pm

The Vintera vintage-style bridge has a new, different part number (7705076000 .. curiously labelled 'MUSTANG BRIDGE W/THREADED SADDLES' ... it's not a Mustang-style bridge).
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 1_2019.pdf

The AVRI/AO bridge is 0054460049 / 0054460000 ('BRIDGE ASSY ADJUSTABLE JAGUAR / JAZZMASTER'). If the Vintera's bridge becomes available after-market at some point, we may see if it has the 'Made in Korea' label on the packet like some earlier non-MIA bridges ... or it could be MIA (AFAIK there have been no Mexico-made offset bridges). Either way, it's currently difficult to know if the Vintera vs AVRI/AO bridges really differ in quality.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:10 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:39 am

Same bridge, Vintera is Mexican. AVRI is American.

To the OP, I’d give it at least a few weeks with the stock bridge, it really adds to the liveliness of a Jazzmaster. I had to change to a Staytrem on my Jazzmaster eventually, got fed up adjusting the stock bridge every few weeks. It’s definitely a worthy upgrade, but the slightest shade of the sound is lost.
Thanks for the all replies, folks. :)
Agreed on seeing what the stock bridge is like first. It will be my first Jazzmaster and first guitar with a traditional bridge.
I have a CP Jaguar but that still has the TOM bridge so not really something to compare it with. (I had originally thought about getting a roller bridge for that but I'm pretty happy with it as is.)
I guess it will be a good time to properly learn how to set a Jazzmaster up. I've also never done a shim on a guitar before but lets wait and see.
It comes with 9 gauge strings(!) so I'll put 11s on it to see if that helps.
I've been GASing for a Jazzmaster for years so I'm in it for the long game and prepared to do what it takes to make it work.
I can't effing wait!
timtam wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:30 pm
The Vintera vintage-style bridge has a new, different part number (7705076000 .. curiously labelled 'MUSTANG BRIDGE W/THREADED SADDLES' ... it's not a Mustang-style bridge).
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 1_2019.pdf

The AVRI/AO bridge is 0054460049 / 0054460000 ('BRIDGE ASSY ADJUSTABLE JAGUAR / JAZZMASTER'). If the Vintera's bridge becomes available after-market at some point, we may see if it has the 'Made in Korea' label on the packet like some earlier non-MIA bridges ... or it could be MIA (AFAIK there have been no Mexico-made offset bridges). Either way, it's currently difficult to know if the Vintera vs AVRI/AO bridges really differ in quality.
Thanks for the specs link! Something else to pore over while I wait for the UPS guy! :D
May the Fuzz be with you