Squier vs Fender mustang tremolo posts

For help with setups and other technical issues.
skern
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier vs Fender mustang tremolo posts

Post by skern » Tue May 26, 2020 11:04 am

Hi all. Does anyone know if the tremolo posts used in Squier and Fender share the same dimensions, as far as the width of the threaded portion? And this would also relate to the tremolo tube and the holes which the posts thread into. I purchased a custom tremolo plate for my Squier, but my posts barely don't fit through. I'm hoping maybe I can purchase Fender parts that would fix this issue.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier vs Fender mustang tremolo posts

Post by Debaser » Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 am

skern wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:04 am
Hi all. Does anyone know if the tremolo posts used in Squier and Fender share the same dimensions, as far as the width of the threaded portion? And this would also relate to the tremolo tube and the holes which the posts thread into. I purchased a custom tremolo plate for my Squier, but my posts barely don't fit through. I'm hoping maybe I can purchase Fender parts that would fix this issue.
What custom plate did you purchase? Maybe the manufacturer could tell you which posts they work with. FWIW, I used a MIJ plate on a Squier VM with no issues (apart from the lousy knife edge fulcrum point).
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

skern
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skern » Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 am

Debaser wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 am
What custom plate did you purchase? Maybe the manufacturer could tell you which posts they work with. FWIW, I used a MIJ plate on a Squier VM with no issues (apart from the lousy knife edge fulcrum point).
I think it may just be an error, as it was a custom builder who specializes in hard-tail conversion, so he probably doesn't have to worry about the tremolo post holes that much. I think I'll just take it to a nearby metal shop to countersink new holes.

But because you mentioned it, I've been thinking about the knife edge. Specifically, how narrow/sharp does the edge have to be? Judging from a pic like this, it would seem the edge should be as sharp as possible. But in real-life photos of knife edges (like this Floyd), it seems they have a bit of girth to them, though honestly it's pretty hard to tell from the pictures. This would make sense to me, as if it were absolutely sharp like in the diagram, it would wear down very quickly, right? The plate I purchased is a harder steel than the normal garbage Squier plates, but even then. I'm thinking it might be best to have a slightly 'rounded' edge, instead of a very fine, or not very fine but flat, edge.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Wed May 27, 2020 10:05 am

skern wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 am
Debaser wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 am
I think it may just be an error, as it was a custom builder who specializes in hard-tail conversion, so he probably doesn't have to worry about the tremolo post holes that much. I think I'll just take it to a nearby metal shop to countersink new holes.

But because you mentioned it, I've been thinking about the knife edge. Specifically, how narrow/sharp does the edge have to be? Judging from a pic like this, it would seem the edge should be as sharp as possible. But in real-life photos of knife edges (like this Floyd), it seems they have a bit of girth to them, though honestly it's pretty hard to tell from the pictures. This would make sense to me, as if it were absolutely sharp like in the diagram, it would wear down very quickly, right? The plate I purchased is a harder steel than the normal garbage Squier plates, but even then. I'm thinking it might be best to have a slightly 'rounded' edge, instead of a very fine, or not very fine but flat, edge.
I’ve given up on the Mustang Dynamic Vibrato because of that fulcrum point. It’s the weak link in the design, apart from the “hot dog” bar which I feel could be made to pass the strings through without the troublesome string wrap around. I got my Mustang vibrato to work perfectly and I thought the negative criticism was because people didn’t know how to set it up. Well after some few months, I could no longer get it to stay in tune as before. I realized the edge was wearing on the plate. Some Tri-flow helped it, but nothing will keep it from wearing down, like the Floyd you linked.

Yes! It needs to be hardened point. I don’t think it needs to be a razor edge, but it needs to low-friction and hardened. The Squier was not, as it wore down. The MIJ plate was not. So I went vintage and that vibrato was just as bad (mid-60s version). I think the American Performer Mustang figured that out and added a thicker hardened plate, and that’s the way to go, IMHO.

I’m with you on the fine, rounded edge. I kinda think a flat edge would be best, but one of the best trem/vibratos I owned was the DF trem on my G&L SC-1. That was rounded and worked flawlessly.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Rorydm85
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rorydm85 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:12 am

have you noticed if the springs on the Squier trem are tighter? I've had a mij mustang and played a few vintage and could always move the "hot dog" without the trem arm easily. on this classic vibe Squier mustang I can't even come close to moving it without the arm.