Jaguar's neck pickup's low volume (0.85K)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
vbara
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar's neck pickup's low volume (0.85K)

Post by vbara » Sat May 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi, everyone!
I have a peculiar problem with a Jag I own. The neck pickup became really quiet. It measures 0.85 K at the output jack, doesn't matter if I use rhythm or lead circuit. So I unsoldered it and measured the pickup itself and it gave me healthy 6.5 K! Soldered it back in - same issue!
Earlier today I could have sworn the rhythm pickup worked fine again, but then the output went done again :(
Any ideas what could be wrong with the wiring or components? Thank you!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar's neck pickup's low volume (0.85K)

Post by timtam » Sat May 16, 2020 7:27 pm

The key to troubleshooting is understanding the circuit in relation to the symptoms. Your neck pickup's DCR tests out OK isolated, but it doesn't function properly in circuit, on either the rhythm or lead circuits. The only components shared between those two circuits are the neck pickup, the rhythm/lead switch, and the output jack - see below. But the bridge pickup also shares the output jack and is seemingly OK, right ? So I would be looking at the rhythm switch first. Undo the plate and inspect the wiring there. See if the symptoms change with it out of the guitar. It would also be worth connecting your neck pickup direct to the guitar cable, to verify that it is actually OK (highly likely given the DCR reading) ... maybe jiggle its wires as you do.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar's neck pickup's low volume (0.85K)

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat May 23, 2020 6:25 pm

Yep. Check the switch wiring. If the neck pixkup is poorly soldered that would do it. If the bridge pickup is ok then you know the pots and everything post switch is ok.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain