Mastery bridge question about MIM offsets

For help with setups and other technical issues.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mastery bridge question about MIM offsets

Post by tune_link » Tue May 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Last year I bought one of the MIM 60th Anniversary Jazzmasters. I want to put a Mastery bridge on it cause I have one on my American Original Jazzmaster. The one I put on the AO fit perfectly without having to switch the thimbles out for Mastery ones. I’m assuming the 60th Anniversary probably has similar spacing and thimbles to the 60s classic laquer Jazzmasters and Jags. Would I need to switch the thimbles out for the Mastery ones? The Mastery site recommends getting them for using the M1 bridge with MIM offsets but what I want to know is if in practice y’all have found that necessary or more of a “if you want to” you have the option thing. I’m terribly scared of having to change thimbles if it involves something where the thimble holes would need to be rerouted or filled in.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery bridge question about MIM offsets

Post by adamrobertt » Tue May 05, 2020 5:15 pm

You don't need new thimbles. Mastery wants to sell them to you, so they recommend them. The bridge should fit just fine in the stock thimbles.

In any case, if for some reason you did need new thimbles, you just pull the old ones and press new ones in - shouldn't require doweling or redrilling.

jam007
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jam007 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 am

My Classic Series 60's Jazzmaster MIM needed the replacement thimbles from Mastery to fit the bridge. If I remember correctly the MIM thimbles I.D. are too small and won't fit the Mastery. No drilling are doweling will be needed, a nice extractor will remove the thimbles just fine.
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."
General S. Patton Commander 3rd U.S Army

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am

“MIM” is a poor way to figure out if new thimbles are needed or not. For example, my MIM Blacktop JM had small bore thimbles, no way the Mastery would fit. On top of that, the Mastery thimbles I bought for it had a larger outer bore, so I had to carefully make the thimble holes larger. Crazy me did it without a drill press, but I got it luckily.

I moved my Mastery to my MIM TVL later on. A few threads here reported that it wouldn’t work. Well, it did, it worked perfectly, no need for a thimble change. Maybe the specs changed? Case it point, check your bore diameter and go from there before ordering anything extra.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed May 20, 2020 9:18 am

Debaser wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am
“MIM” is a poor way to figure out if new thimbles are needed or not. For example, my MIM Blacktop JM had small bore thimbles, no way the Mastery would fit. On top of that, the Mastery thimbles I bought for it had a larger outer bore, so I had to carefully make the thimble holes larger. Crazy me did it without a drill press, but I got it luckily.

I moved my Mastery to my MIM TVL later on. A few threads here reported that it wouldn’t work. Well, it did, it worked perfectly, no need for a thimble change. Maybe the specs changed? Case it point, check your bore diameter and go from there before ordering anything extra.
I probably should have been more specific but isn’t the blacktop JM one with the AOM/TOM style bridge? I assume those need something else entirely before being able to take a Mastery since the bridge type and placement is far different. I have a CP jag with one and I’m selling it partially because I hate that bridge type and it’s placement. I’m was just referring to anything that would have what Fender would call “vintage spec” to some degree or another - 60s classic lacquer, road worn, 60th anniversary, TVL, etc. Mexico offsets.

Since you said it worked perfectly on the TVL that makes me think it will definitely slide right in on the 60th anniversary as well.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 pm

tune_link wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:18 am
Debaser wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am

I probably should have been more specific but isn’t the blacktop JM one with the AOM/TOM style bridge? I assume those need something else entirely before being able to take a Mastery since the bridge type and placement is far different. I have a CP jag with one and I’m selling it partially because I hate that bridge type and it’s placement. I’m was just referring to anything that would have what Fender would call “vintage spec” to some degree or another - 60s classic lacquer, road worn, 60th anniversary, TVL, etc. Mexico offsets.

Since you said it worked perfectly on the TVL that makes me think it will definitely slide right in on the 60th anniversary as well.
I wasn't really directing the "MIM" comment at anyone in particular, just saying the thimble size can change from model to model and even within the specific model over time.

I had a 2011 Blacktop HS JM, and it had the angled neck pocket, bridge humbucker, moved trem plate, and an adjustable Mustang-style bridge that was pretty terrible. The thimbles were unique because it kept the bridge from rocking, so a super narrow opening. The location was right, just not the right inner diameter or outside diameter for that matter.

The TVL is about 95 percent vintage spec, but again some threads said the Mastery wouldn't fit. That wasn't my experience, I bought brand new and the Mastery dropped in. If I had to bet, I'd be with you on it fitting the 60th Annie, but I'd rather just measure it.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...