Jaguar Buzz at First Few Frets

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jaguar Buzz at First Few Frets

Post by RoséBear » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Hey guys,

So I just recently got my Japan jaguar refretted with stainless frets, and a new bone nut cut. The luthier that did this work is EXCELLENT, a master. I trust him implicitly, so I’m ruling out high frets.

My relief is fairly low- I like a neck to mostly be straight. Jaguar has a mastery, mustang is stock mustang bridge.

At the first few frets the jaguar buzzes a bit. I assume the winter changed my neck, so I adjusted it back a bit to no avail. Does anyone else know what one would do at this point? It’s really only the first 3 frets. You can’t hear it too much in the amp, and no notes are choking out. My action is a nice 4/64s

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Buzz at First Few Frets

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:04 am

I don‘t know if it‘s comparable (as it‘s a glued neck) but when I had my Eastwood Sidejack‘s frets dressed - the first few frets were buzzing when I took it home. But only at the E string. As it was all set up by a great luthier I took it back to him... and it was solved within minutes! The (plastic) nut was causing the buzz as the E-string‘s groove was a little too deep. A small amount of glue solved the problem in my case.

But I honestly don‘t get your Mustang issue. It has a Mastery Bridge on it and came with a Mustang-Bridge when you received it?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Buzz at First Few Frets

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:16 am

Never rule anything out arbitrarily.

Head back to the luthier, explain what's happening and ask what can be done.

He/she can be the most credentialed luthier in the world, that doesn't mean it's impossible for a fret, the tang, the surrounding wood or entire neck overall to have shifted a touch, especially if they've recently been pressed in. Shit happens sometimes, it's not anybody's fault, you're dealing with wood after all.

(Assuming the neck relief has been correctly adjusted, it does sound like a high fret.)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.