Jaguar Bass Preamp

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Phil Mailloux
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar Bass Preamp

Post by Phil Mailloux » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi Guys, researching details on the Jag bass preamp for a customer of mine. I can't seem to find any details of it online. What preamp does Fender use in the bass and is it available for sale?

Any opinions on the sound of the pre? Good, bad or am I better off sticking a better 2-band pre in it. I built another Jag bass a few years back but we shoved an Aguilar OBP-2 in that one. Just wondering if it makes sense to find the Fender pre or just use something else.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Bass Preamp

Post by burpgun » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:21 am

I've got a U.S. Jaguar. I don't get the sense players use it very much. About the most I can say about it is it can be pretty dramatic, and boost the volume, and give the bass a Stingray like vibe. I don't like it very much because it adds a brittleness to the sound, but I'm sure other folks might feel differently.

Phil Mailloux
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Phil Mailloux » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks for the reply mate, any more opinions out there?

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:38 pm

burpgun wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:21 am
I've got a U.S. Jaguar. I don't get the sense players use it very much. About the most I can say about it is it can be pretty dramatic, and boost the volume, and give the bass a Stingray like vibe. I don't like it very much because it adds a brittleness to the sound, but I'm sure other folks might feel differently.
I have the MiJ and, like Burpgun, I dont use the active circuit very much for the same reason, and when I do it is mainly because I have accidently knocked the switch :)

I prefer the passive sound for the music I play. But it is good to have the option.

A friend who occasionally uses the bass always uses the active circuit tho.

HTH
:)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:25 pm

I find the Jag bass preamp to be a lot like the one on my 2-band Musicman S.U.B. (the American one from 15 years ago). It goes from "nothing" to "too much!" very easily.

I'm a huge fan of active basses but with so many great-sounding options (like that Aguilar), I wouldn't see any reason to track down a "proper" Fender one.

If you want to do something a little different, I absolutely adore the Darkglass Tone Capsule. Yes, it's 3-band, but if you want to wire it as a 2-band you could always skip the low mid (500Hz) pot and hardwire that as neutral. Have a 70Hz bass and 2.8kHz high-mid control is honestly a lot more musically versatile than bass and a true treble. It gives a lot of cut and definition without turning into a noisy clicky mess like the stock Jag preamp.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Phil Mailloux
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Phil Mailloux » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Sweet thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. That also eases my mind in my choice of not getting a Fender one :D