Pickup question. DC resistance is higher in the neck then brdige.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
dune736
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pickup question. DC resistance is higher in the neck then brdige.

Post by dune736 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:22 pm

I ordered a set of SD Antiquity 1s for my MIM Jazzmaster. When I opened up the boxes to check the pickups, the tags on the pickups said DC resistance on the neck was 8.61k and 8.47k on the bridge. Could this cause me any issues?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup question. DC resistance is higher in the neck then brdige.

Post by timtam » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:32 pm

DC resistance is a relatively poor guide to pickup performance. Spec for current Antiquities is apparently 8.4k bridge / 8.2k neck, but a smaller difference in the opposite direction like what you have is essentially insignificant. They wouldn't have sent them that way otherwise. Pickup height is your means to balance output .. with your ears. ;)

One does wonder why manufacturers sell 'different' neck and bridge pickups, when in reality they are made in ways that make them essentially identical ... pole spacing being a possible exception in some cases (Antiquities have identical pole spacing according to the specs).
Last edited by timtam on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:41 pm

Any manufactured part falls in a tolerance band described by a normal distribution. The neck pickup is just slightly one way on the tolerance spectrum than the other. They might even fall within measurement device error variation... Those pickups are practically the same.

The spread between these two pickups is 2.5% ... the volume pot has a tolerance range of 20%. You will be ok.

If the bobbin pole pieces are the same spread you could put the neck as the bridge and bridge as the neck....

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Just noticed that the Antiquity pair are RWRP .. so that's the only apparent difference.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Yeah, the Antiquities are a take on the classic JM pickups - where the DC resistance is the same on both - but they are slightly hotter overall and I think I read they're slightly demagnetized to sound more vintage. The Fender Pure Vintage 65 pickups are similarly spec'd the same for neck and bridge, except with a lower resistance and a brighter sound overall. The non-Antiquity SD pickups (regular and hot) usually wind the bridge hotter, which is fairly common on single coil pickup sets so that the bridge isn't too shrill. Anyway, like others have mentioned, the difference in the neck and bridge is negligible - they're probably supposed to be wound about the same and you're just seeing some variance in that.