Jaguar/Jazzmaster - Saddle Materials

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jaguar/Jazzmaster - Saddle Materials

Post by Danley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:02 am

So my ‘96 MIJ stock (zinc) saddles/screws finally died from devouring one another in a fused cloud of corrosion and twisted-off Phillips-heads - RIP MIJ saddles that died after 25 years, you were survived by your grandpa (the ~50 - 60 year old saddles on my vintage bridge continue to be just fine.)

The most readily available saddles are Allparts, which are nickel - hoping they are decent quality at least, and possibly better than the stock saddles/screws.

I don’t think zinc is a *bad* saddle material in itself, but every time I’ve swapped to a vintage/AVRI bridge (steel/nickel/otherwise magnetic saddles?) to replace a stock Squier or MIJ, I notice a the tone becomes tighter/more fundamental and less overtones if that makes sense; a bit glassier, brighter and boomier and I don’t mind that.

Once I install the new saddles I guess I can report back if there’s a noticeable difference between zinc and nickel on the same baseplate; come to think of it I always thought the vintage bridges were steel saddle, maybe they’re nickel? Not to get all TGP, but seems like there is a possible difference at least, enough to have a preference (though the actual tighter construction of the AVRI and vintage bridges - and their apparent greater longevity- are still the main plus points for me beyond saddle material.)
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar/Jazzmaster - Saddle Materials

Post by Debaser » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:57 am

I didn't know MIJ saddles were zinc alloy, which I never would of guessed. Same with nickel alloy, seems like an even odder choice. I would assume thread cut saddles aren't plated at all. Maybe you were talking about Mustang saddles my bad lol ;D

As for the base plate, I'm certain just about every single type is steel, since they appear to be stamped or brake formed. Stainless steel would be a marketable upgrade (see Mastery). They are plated with nickel (or copper), and then chrome in most cases. The type of steel used, however will make a slight difference. I notice the AVRI thread-cut saddles have a better quality cut, and likely use a higher quality steel than say, those on a Squier VM.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:21 am

Late follow-up, I feel like I have more questions than anything now (and am talking about Jaguar/Jazzmaster, but the Mustang saddle material situation seems the same based on both my vintage and reissue bridges.)

I still suspect the vintage saddles are steel, since they have surface rust and are very magnetic. The Allparts supposed nickel saddles are only mildly magnetic, where I thought nickel (unless I’m dealing with an alloy or mislabeled zinc) was supposed to be highly attracted to magnets. That said, the new Allparts saddles are quite different in color to the MIJ saddles, and they also seem to be ‘tighter’ in tolerance to the bridge plate and grub screws, thus less susceptible to rattle. Could be just because they’re new saddles that they are a different color and have less thread damage?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:00 pm

zinc?
are they not copper+zinc? or at least a closer alloy. I thought brass was generally used, or at least a closer alloy. Generally filing them, its brass coloured and not zinc coloured.

I do find a difference between brass and steel or aluminium. Somehow less high but rich mids. Don't think i am imagining it anyway, but brass seems fat, growly and the silvery metals, presumably a steel is thin, trebly, more delicate sounding. Could be... I've noticed this on saddles, plectrums, acoustic strings so maybe there is something in it that is consistent.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:02 pm

jorri wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:00 pm
zinc?
are they not copper+zinc? or at least a closer alloy. I thought brass was generally used, or at least a closer alloy. Generally filing them, its brass coloured and not zinc coloured.

I do find a difference between brass and steel or aluminium. Somehow less high but rich mids. Don't think i am imagining it anyway, but brass seems fat, growly and the silvery metals, presumably a steel is thin, trebly, more delicate sounding. Could be... I've noticed this on saddles, plectrums, acoustic strings so maybe there is something in it that is consistent.
e.g. i bought a fender bass bridge today. Its chrome plated. Big sticker underneath saying BRASS. When i filed out the slots it was brass coloured. I've had the Allparts mustang saddles= same and i've had MIJ saddles=same. Somehow i always end up filing the slots!