Fender jazzmaster avri high E String breaking ever

For help with setups and other technical issues.
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender jazzmaster avri high E String breaking ever

Post by StevenO » Mon May 13, 2019 8:56 am

garyfanclub wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:54 am
Same problem with my MIJ Jazzmaster -- decided to go full caveman and just use a plain B-string instead of an E, so both my E and B strings are 13's.

Works pretty well, and the high E is more 'authoritative'. YMMV
I'm calling the cops.

Gianni.jag_jazz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gianni.jag_jazz » Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 am

alexpigment wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:24 am
I assume that this means that the tremolo isn’t set up ideally. The arm should be fairly perpendicular to the body before it bends 90 degrees. Do you have a trem lock on your Jazz and if so, does it function properly? I would think that if the angle is wrong on the trem it either won’t engage or it still will allow the arm to move upward while engaged.
Yes, The arm is perpendicular to the body. I really don't know what can be the cause of this. to the jaguar the tailpiece is high and the fender bullet strings are fine but for the jazzmaster it is impossible to put them on, the tailpiece is so low that the bullet touches the back bar. I also had to reverse the screws on the bar because the two strings E high and E low touched the screw a lot. I also tried to adjust the tremolo screw differently but nothing. does not change much :wacko:

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 am

Gianni.jag_jazz wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 am
alexpigment wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:24 am
I assume that this means that the tremolo isn’t set up ideally. The arm should be fairly perpendicular to the body before it bends 90 degrees. Do you have a trem lock on your Jazz and if so, does it function properly? I would think that if the angle is wrong on the trem it either won’t engage or it still will allow the arm to move upward while engaged.
Yes, The arm is perpendicular to the body. I really don't know what can be the cause of this. to the jaguar the tailpiece is high and the fender bullet strings are fine but for the jazzmaster it is impossible to put them on, the tailpiece is so low that the bullet touches the back bar. I also had to reverse the screws on the bar because the two strings E high and E low touched the screw a lot. I also tried to adjust the tremolo screw differently but nothing. does not change much :wacko:
Yeah I have no idea what the cause would be either. I've used MIM and AVRI bridges and never really noticed this issue, but there are other bridges out there and I'm sure there's some variability within different examples of the same model too. I suppose those RPS Slinky strings are worth trying out on the Jazz then. Or any of the other solutions mentioned. Good luck!

Gianni.jag_jazz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gianni.jag_jazz » Mon May 13, 2019 11:01 am

I just bought the Ernie Ball rps strings.. this weekend I have two live shows with my band. I'll update you on how it goes 8)

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 am

How did it go, problem solved?

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Three or so days into owning my first (and probably only) Jazzmaster, my high E string broke at the back end and it was because the windings were rubbing on the screw head in the vibrato plate.

You'd think that Fender would have thought to position all three of those screws BETWEEN the strings. You'd also think that after half a century of this problem existing, Fender would alter the design to address it.

As it is, though, you can fix the problem by counterboring the plate at the two outer screws and switching to flat heads. It works but only just barely. The issue is that while the soft steel plate bores out easily, the hardened vibrato fulcrum piece does not, so the depth of your counterbore is limited. It would like to continue into the fulcrum piece but it can't so the flat head screws won't sit entirely flush with the plate. But they do sit a little lower than the stock domed screws. Just enough.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/ ... =2#p427079

geektardo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by geektardo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 pm

D'Addario rep told me NYXLs are soldered at ball: https://www.daddario.com/products/guita ... itar/nyxl/
I am slowly switching all my guitars to these strings. A bit more expensive but they last way longer. Sound and feel better for longer too.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:31 pm

Horsefeather wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 pm
Three or so days into owning my first (and probably only) Jazzmaster, my high E string broke at the back end and it was because the windings were rubbing on the screw head in the vibrato plate.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/ ... =2#p427079
I had the same problem. Cut a slot in the screw head (with a dremel) to make room for the string.