Which "6-in-line/vintage" locking tuners should I upgrade to?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Which "6-in-line/vintage" locking tuners should I upgrade to?

Post by andy_tchp » Sat May 11, 2019 5:30 pm

No, I'm the guy that inspired that rant. :)
Larry Mal wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:04 am
Also, to get back to the original question, that first set of locking tuners that was posted looks to me like the "automatic lock" kind of locking tuners, and I deeply dislike those. You put the string through, and you turn the knob a bunch of times, over and over and over and over, until the mechanism locks. If you have a string winder then it's only a passing annoyance, if you don't, it just sucks and frankly takes longer and is more of a hassle than just the Safe-T design.
So sorry for my 'rudeness' before, but it seems like you're actually agreeing with me entirely here?

Again, I have used those exact tuners, and yes, they are annoying in the extreme to restring, exactly for the reason you've mentioned, particularly when compared with the stock type.

As an added bonus, tuning stability is actually *worse* if you do a lot of bending - the only thing actually holding the string is a small steel pin, acting laterally against the string within the assembly. Yank the string hard against it, and it'll fall flat. Consistently.

So my suggestion, again, with all due respect, and not wanting to offend, is to not purchase and use that particular type.

For suggestions of something better, I will defer to anyone else's experience, as I no longer have any locking machine head equipped guitars since offloading my old G&L SC3, which had early iterations of Sperzel which I also didn't particularly like.

Also, we've all seen pictures of the bizarre, mind-bending (wrong) methods some have used when (mis) using the 'vintage' slotted type (pretty much the easiest type to restring), so I figured the question could be asked. If that's rude then... so be it.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun May 12, 2019 10:07 am

All right, Andy, I might have been a little harsh on you and I apologize.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

matarroano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by matarroano » Sun May 19, 2019 3:52 am

Hey everyone! Thanks for your feedback and replies.

And the interesting debate that followed...

I do understand (and respect) some of you for thinking differently but, for me, function over form. The simplicity and "time saving" of locking tuners make them unbeatable. For me. I might risk also sating that tuning stability increases, also... But that would be hard to "prove" and it's not important enough. Both options, locking and non-locking are "stable enough". "Whatever floats your boat."

Just another question:

Does Schaller offer something compatible? I like Schaller products and I would like to keep supporting them...

Thanks again, for you help and feedback!

Cheers!