Do you use the trem lock when you change or temporarily take off the strings?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do you use the trem lock when you change or temporarily take off the strings?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Thu May 30, 2019 11:01 am

hwestman wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:05 am
Never.

But changing one string at the time I don't really experience a problem.
I would like to give the same comment:
Never.
But changing one string at the time I don't really experience a problem
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do you use the trem lock when you change or temporarily take off the strings?

Post by alexpigment » Thu May 30, 2019 6:12 pm

A lot of one-at-a-time string changers here :) I honestly never do that for whatever reason. Having said that, I do work on my guitars' electronics from time to time, which requires them to be all off temporarily (and I use the trem lock in this case). And of course, with vintage tuners, you can quickly & easily put the strings back on when you're done.

Other good uses for the trem lock - alternate tunings, at least when it involves multiple strings. I never use it with drop d tuning, even though the other strings technically go out of tune some small amount.

JagWire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JagWire » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:42 am

I had mine setup for proper function but never actually engaged it for any reason. Now I just have the slider so tight it won't slide, this prevents it from loosening over time and rattling from string vibration, it's merely cosmetic now.