Are you using/not using a shim w/ your Staytrem?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Are you using/not using a shim w/ your Staytrem?

Post by StevenO » Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 am

Oh, you're not wrong, but I'll take my chances until I can find something that works. Until then...

:boobs: (this is an option in the smilies that I didn't know existed)

BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BobL » Wed May 08, 2019 10:02 am

StevenO wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 am
Oh, you're not wrong, but I'll take my chances until I can find something that works. Until then...

:boobs: (this is an option in the smilies that I didn't know existed)
It's fairly glorious.

I take it you are not US?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed May 08, 2019 10:18 am

If I understand correctly, I am from Canada.

BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BobL » Wed May 08, 2019 10:41 am

Yeah, it's expensive to get just one thing shipped from StewMac in the US. Imagine it's compounded going up north.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Wed May 08, 2019 5:35 pm

I've found the Stewmac shim sizes to be not granular enough (a big difference between .25, .5 and 1), and they add a lot of unnecessary thickness so your neck sits up higher than it needs to. What I do is this:

1) Print out a diagram of a Fender neck pocket at 1:1 size - I do about 12 copies. I think the last time I did it, I was able to fit 6 per sheet of paper.

2) Cut out around the edges of that diagram so I have 12 identical pieces of paper that fit perfectly in the neck pocket.

3) Using the neck screw holes indicated on the printout, I take a paper hole punch and punch out all 4 holes (a hole punch is the only good tool for this job imho). Now I have 12 pieces of paper that fit perfectly in the neck pocket, and I can install a neck on top of them (if I wanted to, but see step 4) since the screw holes are there.

4) Cut the length of each piece of paper by a regular amount so the length of each one decreases compared to the one under it. Now you have 12 sheets of paper where they all are anchored by two screw holes, but the overall tilt of the stack is angled.

5) Install the neck and test it out. If the angle is good but the neck sits too high, take out every other sheet of paper. If the angle is too low, take out more of the longer pieces of paper. If the angle is too high, take out more shorter pieces of paper.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 08, 2019 5:40 pm

I shim all my Fenders pretty much by default, I prefer the break angle to be high and the strings to play that way.

If you are having trouble getting your Jazzmaster pickups to be high enough, have you checked the foam underneath there? You might need to add some and you might need new foam.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

bjornsynneby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bjornsynneby » Tue May 14, 2019 11:56 am

For shim I use a fender pick cut as they came from the factory. I use 11 flatwound gauge. The Staytrem bridge poles stay in the middle of the thimbles although I never let go of the tremolo arm with my hand and use it extensively. No problems with tuning, popping strings or buzz.

One solution to your first problem with the pickups is mentioned above (thicker padding under the pickups).

The increased break angle of a neck shim will cause a downward force on the bridge. So the shim itself is not likely the cause of your second problem. However there may be other factors resulting in leverage on your bridge posts.

One solution to your second problem is to take a closer look at the nut. The friction of the nut can perhaps make the bridge poles move towards the thimble walls. A bad nut will also cause buzz.

Another solution to your second problem can be that the tremolo spring tension is not correctly adjusted. It might be that you also have a lot of fore-bow on your neck. If so the bridge can be balanced if the neck is given more back-bow.

BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BobL » Fri May 24, 2019 7:05 am

bjornsynneby wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:56 am

One solution to your second problem is to take a closer look at the nut. The friction of the nut can perhaps make the bridge poles move towards the thimble walls. A bad nut will also cause buzz.

Another solution to your second problem can be that the tremolo spring tension is not correctly adjusted. It might be that you also have a lot of fore-bow on your neck. If so the bridge can be balanced if the neck is given more back-bow.
Neck is pretty dang flat, action is good.

Your point on the nut potentially binding is a good one - i'll take a look at the slots and clean them up. I have some guitar grease I can put in there as well, and see how that works. It certainly makes sense to me that the strings have to be sliding over the saddles and then pulling the saddle fore or aft depending, and binding at the nut would for sure be problematic in that situation.