SSS Jaguar + Wronski + Free-way Blade ???

For help with setups and other technical issues.
DanyoSound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

SSS Jaguar + Wronski + Free-way Blade ???

Post by DanyoSound » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:40 pm

I have an SSS Jaguar and I like a lot of options.

I came across the Free-way 10-position blade for Stratocaster. The possibilities in the video floored me.
You can do every Strat position, and every Johnny Marr Jaguar position available from his 4-way switch (sans the upper horn controls).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Mfmw1d2gE

"But what's a Wronski plate?" you ask.
It's just like the switch plate on a Johnny Marr Jaguar (for a 4-position blade) but it's diagonal. (Check out the picture below)
https://reverb.com/item/12008492-diagon ... w.ds&pla=1

I'm pretty sure I can fit one of these Free-way blades in the Wronski plate.
https://www.freewayswitch.com/products/

BUT, will the Free-way switch fit in the Jaguar control plate cavity?

Thanks, Friends!
~D
Offsets and flangers

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SSS Jaguar + Wronski + Free-way Blade ???

Post by Embenny » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Here are its dimensions.

It's significantly bulkier than a typical 4-way switch because of its square edges. Marrguars have a slightly bigger rout than vintage jags to accommodate one of those 4-ways sitting straight-on. The wronski plate lets you fit most switches into a regular Jag by angling it - but those big, square edges on the free-way will likely represent a problem.

Looks to me like you'd have to expect to do a little routing or chiseling of that cavity.

I have a 6-way free-way switch on my Z-coil Bullet Mustang and love it. I didn't realize they make a Strat switch - but I love the idea. Although with 5 positions, I'd expect it to be a little finicky switching settings. Even with just 6, it feels a bit like rowing gears when you want to go from up-neck to down-bridge positions.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:42 pm

The 4-way Oak Grigsby like on the Marr needs ~37mm depth and a regular (VM) jag cavity will just take it IME, so the Freeway blade at 34mm should be OK depth wise.
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Ele ... witch.html

But the Freeway blade is 15.6mm wide with those sides extending beyond its screw holes (50mm long). Also it's a tad asymetrical width-wise. The Marr straight plate / 4-way switch requires a little filing to the upper and lower cavity walls to squeeze the 4-way's length into a standard jag cavity route (while still leaving clear the screw holes that hold the plate itself to the wood).

So like mbene085 my guess is that even with a diagonal plate it will require some work to the cavity walls. Hopefully that does not extend beyond the area covered by the plate, but it might.

A thicker-than-normal plate could also present some problems to the side-to-side operation of the switch, even if the slot is long enough.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 am

Look into an Armstrong Blender mod. Regular five way Strat switch and wiring only change on a standard Strat. You'd need a stacked tone knob so you can get the blender option, Strats use the second tone knob. Blends between SSS and HSH. If you swap the pickup hot leads on the switch you can get Neck plus Bridge like a Tele, either neck and middle or middle and bridge swapped, gives up number two or number four quack switch position depending on which pair you swap. Common parts and cheap mod. I like it so I can dial in a little more or less from the ends and not hard stuck on singles or series humbuckers.

Maybe that's easier or not to fit

Dan Armstrong Blender Mod
http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/armstr ... s800AB.jpg
Breja Toneworks DABM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWF1L7GBYfU

DanyoSound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DanyoSound » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am

Hi OSG Friends

Great suggestions. I already looked at the dimensions and I made a little cut-out for the dimensions of the switch to compare it to the cavity.
Although the Free-way 5-position switch will probably fit the Wronski plate fine, it does not look like it will fit the cavity currently on the guitar.

I will have to pull up the dimensions for Marr Jaguar to see how its control cavity is enlarged, or perhaps just do a custom job myself.
I don't care what the cavity looks like, as long as the hardware covers it up.

I actually really hope my idea works. It would be the best of both worlds: a Johnny Marr Jaguar and a Strat. Rather close to the Armstrong configuration already.

I don't use knobs much on my guitar. I tend to keep both volume and tone wide open (though I might experiment with tone more to move from 1 meg tone of the Jaguar to the 250k tone of the Strat). So having different pickup configurations is actually ideal for me.
Perhaps having a switch between 1 meg and 250k would be even better for me than having a tone pot. I'll think about it....

If anyone else wants to chime in with experience, please do so. If I'm going to go that route, I'll order the parts soon. In any case, I'll show you my work when it's done.

~D
Offsets and flangers

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:48 pm

DanyoSound wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am
I will have to pull up the dimensions for Marr Jaguar to see how its control cavity is enlarged, or perhaps just do a custom job myself.
I don't care what the cavity looks like, as long as the hardware covers it up.
Having an enlarged switch cavity that extends beyond the edge of the switch plate is not as much of an issue as it sounds, if it comes to that. As long as it's still covered by the pickguard and there is a reasonably good fit between the plate and the pickguard, no one is going to notice what's under that tiny gap, if there is one. Some jags actually have cavities that are open between the switch cavity and the pickup cavity (eg Classic Player, Am Pro, 60s Lacquer). It's basically invisible when covered.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

DanyoSound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DanyoSound » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:52 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k1axuw3iz32q ... n.pdf?dl=0

I find out the answer myself with a little digital help.

I suck at dropbox, and I suck at editing images, but I satisfied my curiosity.
  • The Freeway Switch fits in the Marr Plate, but not Wronski.
  • Not sure if it will fit in the cavity, but I think it will.
Offsets and flangers

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Looking at your diagram I'd say you'd have to take a bit off the cavity walls for both plates ... so you could go either way and have about the same amount of work to do, just in different places. The Marr cavity work should just keep you within the bounds of the plate though.

Also I wonder if that complex switch will be easier to operate when running parallel to the strings, ie with the Marr plate. I think all the switch locations might be easier to find quickly that way than if the switch travel is diagonal to the strings ?

We will be interested to hear how it goes.

DanyoSound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DanyoSound » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm

timtam wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:13 pm
I wonder if that complex switch will be easier to operate when running parallel to the strings, ie with the Marr plate. I think all the switch locations might be easier to find quickly that way than if the switch travel is diagonal to the strings ?
I was just thinking of this very issue. I was actually thinking that maybe the Marr plate with the switch running parallel might more difficult to operate. I thought the Wronski/Strat orientation (diagonal) would actually be easier, but I'm really not sure.

I was about start a post to find out if Marr-guar users find the switch useful or cumbersome in that location. I'm now leaning toward the Marr plate with the Free-Way again. The functionality with the Free-Way just seems so important to me right now, at least until I find out which positions I can do without it.
Offsets and flangers