American Original 60s Jaguar - Bridge Pickup Ideas?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Woowoo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

American Original 60s Jaguar - Bridge Pickup Ideas?

Post by Woowoo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:53 am

Hi everyone, new member here.

I recently got a new AO 60s Jaguar, which I absolutely love. I couldn't be happier with the guitar in general, stays in tune, no problems with the stock bridge, great quality.
The only few things I'm considering whether I should change are:
- Bridge pickup. It doesn't sound bad but it's very anemic and there is also a significant volume drop while both pickups are active. Any recommendations for a hotter bridge pickup?
- Pot. I've been thinking about switching to 500K, simply because I cannot tame the highs (when needed) by using the tone knob without sacrificing a lot of volume. On the other hand I'm afraid in case this reduces output, sustain or the "chime" of the sound. From your experience would this be a bad move?
I tried searching the forum for similar topics, but the search engine does not allow the use of "bridge", "pickups", etc as search terms, I get a message that they're "too common" :-[ )
Thanks

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: American Original 60s Jaguar - Bridge Pickup Ideas?

Post by hwestman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 am

Turning down the tone and volume controls a bit should give you the same effect as that of installing 500K pots. If the brightness cannot be tamed with the current setup I find it unlikely that lower value pots will be the solution.

And Yes, you will certainly loose some high end and some output when the controls are fully open (when comparing 1M and 500K).

I personally consider switching to 500K because I always dial down both controls a bit but I would find it convenient to be able to open both controls to the max and have the same tone that I currently have on 7-8.

I don’t expect it to sound different from the dialled down setting though.

El Reclusa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: American Original 60s Jaguar - Bridge Pickup Ideas?

Post by El Reclusa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:10 am

I'm no expert or connoisseur of Jag pickups, but the Curtis Novaks I have in my Jag build are the best pickups I have ever owned, period.