Recommended strings for Johnny Marr Jag?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
El Pelo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Recommended strings for Johnny Marr Jag?

Post by El Pelo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 am

Hey everyone, I own a 2018 Johnny Marr Jag and I need some help deciding what strings to put on it.

A lot of the research I've done points to putting at least 11s on a Jaguar? Why is that?

The stock strings are 10-46. What I'm wondering is if the modified bridge changes the need for the 11's or if its more to do with the short scale.

I tried to do some searching but I guess my search is too broad.

jesterpunk68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommended strings for Johnny Marr Jag?

Post by jesterpunk68 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:50 pm

From Johnny himself about his jaguar

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... arm?page=2

Jaguars can be a complex instrument to set up. Could you explain how you like to run your Jags, and perhaps any tips you have for getting the most out of one?
I find you absolutely have to have .011s on a Jag. No question on that! Guitarists that are used to playing with .010s on other guitars will find a Jag with .011s will behave in a way they understand. I personally set up my Jags so they have a little bit of fight in them. I won’t say high action, but they’re certainly not set up for fast shredding, and that gives it some real punch when you’re playing rhythm, and some real wallop and bottom end. I have a little shim that I put in the neck that’s .6 mm, and I find the neck angle is crucial on Jaguars, more so than almost any other guitar. The neck angle and the string break across the bridge really needs to be fine-tuned, but I’ve got it down now, between myself and my tech. It’s all about string tension with them.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 pm

El Pelo wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 am
What I'm wondering is if the modified bridge changes the need for the 11's or if its more to do with the short scale.
Physics-wise the Marr bridge is basically like a classic Mustang bridge (just with anti-sink bushings to stop it sinking down ... and the newer ones have the narrower ~52 mm E-E spacing) - so there's nothing there that changes the need for 11's.

The conventional wisdom is that you need sufficient downforce for jag/JM bridges/trems to 'work'. So 11's (or higher) plus a neck shim for a little more break angle usually gets you there.

But the 11's actually only get you to about the same string tension on the 24" scale as you would have on a longer scale with 10's. People often use 10's on a 25.5 scale Fender and 11's on a 24.75 Gibson. They feel about the same because the string tension is then closer between the two scales (shorter scale but higher gauge almost cancel out tension-wise). You can do the calculations if you want, using the string tensions published by some string manufacturers (usually standardized for 25.5 scale) ...
http://www.noyceguitars.com/Technotes/Articles/T3.html
http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:12 am

El Pelo wrote:
Hey everyone, I own a 2018 Johnny Marr Jag and I need some help deciding what strings to put on it.

A lot of the research I've done points to putting at least 11s on a Jaguar? Why is that?

The stock strings are 10-46. What I'm wondering is if the modified bridge changes the need for the 11's or if its more to do with the short scale.
I think you have the answer there. .11s on a 24" neck 'feel' the same as .10s on a 25.5" neck due to the string tension. Another one that we like to trot out here is that the Jaguar was 'designed' for thicker strings. I believe Fender just slaps 10-46 on every guitar that leaves the factory no matter what model.

From the quote from Marr above you can see he thinks that .11s are the way to go, but you can play .10s, or .12s, or heck, try .09s if you want. Go with what sounds and feels the best to you. The only right answer is what works for you. Experiment a little. Personally I really like stainless steel strings on my Jag, but others much prefer plain nickel, and then there are flatwounds for that mellow sound.

Maxadur
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Maxadur » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:15 am

timtam wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 pm
El Pelo wrote:
What I'm wondering is if the modified bridge changes the need for the 11's or if its more to do with the short scale.
Physics-wise the Marr bridge is basically like a classic Mustang bridge (just with anti-sink bushings to stop it sinking down ... and the newer ones have the narrower ~52 mm E-E spacing) - so there's nothing there that changes the need for 11's.

The conventional wisdom is that you need sufficient downforce for jag/JM bridges/trems to 'work'. So 11's (or higher) plus a neck shim for a little more break angle usually gets you there.

But the 11's actually only get you to about the same string tension on the 24" scale as you would have on a longer scale with 10's. People often use 10's on a 25.5 scale Fender and 11's on a 24.75 Gibson. They feel about the same because the string tension is then closer between the two scales (shorter scale but higher gauge almost cancel out tension-wise). You can do the calculations if you want, using the string tensions published by some string manufacturers (usually standardized for 25.5 scale) ...
http://www.noyceguitars.com/Technotes/Articles/T3.html
http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page
Timtam......do you have a shim on your Jag? If so, what size, please......I'm trying to get a good setup on my Marr Jag ( I'll get a 52mm bridge when they are more readily available). I wish Johnny's tech would travel around making house calls and set up our Marr Jags for us ;)
Happy new year, mate....................Gerry

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Maxadur wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:15 am
Timtam......do you have a shim on your Jag? If so, what size, please......I'm trying to get a good setup on my Marr Jag ( I'll get a 52mm bridge when they are more readily available). I wish Johnny's tech would travel around making house calls and set up our Marr Jags for us ;)
Happy new year, mate....................Gerry
I have 11's on it and a 1 degree neck shim in there. I bought a 0.5 degree too in case I found that I needed to go with less, or add the two to go with more. Cheers.
https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_S ... uitar.html
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.