*** SOLVED *** Mastery Bridge in C.I.J Jazzmaster - does yours "rock" a bit with the Tremelo (?)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
benifin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

*** SOLVED *** Mastery Bridge in C.I.J Jazzmaster - does yours "rock" a bit with the Tremelo (?)

Post by benifin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:31 pm

*** SOLVED *** - See Post #9 Below

Hey all

My Crafted In Japan [ CIJ ] 66 R/I Jazzmaster has a Mastery in it. I used the "small" M1 posts which fit quite tightly because the "larger" M2 posts dont fit the thimbles in my JM

It really is quite a tight fit - only ever so slightly loose / wiggly with no strings - *but* when strung up and I use the Tremelo, the Bridge does rock a little bit - around 1mm or so back and forth with the Trem.

The bridge posts are sitting about 1/2 in / 1/2 out as this is what I need to get the action I want.

So ..... is this movement normal (?) -or- is it supposed to be simply %100 non-rocking even with Trem use (?)

Thanks,
Ben
Last edited by benifin on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery Bridge in C.I.J Jazzmaster ....... does yours "rock" a bit with the Tremelo (?)

Post by kingmedicine » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:21 am

I don't think it is supposed to move that much or be loose when installed. After putting in the thimbles and tightening both posts, mine stay put pretty much on both my JMs. You're sure the M2 posts didn't fit? I would have thought the wobbling would be a result of using the M1 bridge.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery Bridge in C.I.J Jazzmaster ....... does yours "rock" a bit with the Tremelo (?)

Post by Embenny » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:30 am

None of my mastery bridges rock at all. I don't have any installed in Japanese offsets so I never had to use the M2 posts, but the M1 in USA-spec thimbles are an airtight fit.

Kind of defeats the purpose of the design if it's rocking. Not that I'm even that big a fan of the design anymore...yes, I still own three Mastery bridges, but I think of them more as having a specific effect rather than being superior.

Staytrems are my favourite Offset bridges, not that I should be detailing the thread.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:42 pm

The fit of mine wasn¨t air thight... but I wouldn't say that there was a one milimeter gap... that's quite a lot.

I insterted some aluminum foil to tighten things up. And that worked out quite well.

benifin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by benifin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:03 am

hwestman wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:42 pm
The fit of mine wasn¨t air thight... but I wouldn't say that there was a one milimeter gap... that's quite a lot.

I insterted some aluminum foil to tighten things up. And that worked out quite well.
I didn't explain that too well ...... there isn't a 1mm gap in the thimble between the post and the thimble internal walls ..... if I use the tremelo .... looking down at the Mastery, the top of the Mastery "rocks" back and forth by about 1mm ......... ie:- its not totally-unmoving.

Ben

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:37 am

Make sure the bridge sits as low as possible in the thimbles. It's possible you installed it too high. If you have shims in your neck pocket, you may want to remove some. When I installed the Mastery on my Jag I had the stock cardboard shims, I removed them all and placed the 0.25" wooden shim from StewMac and the bridge sits low and firm.

MRBUGGO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MRBUGGO » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:59 am

Here's what I did to address this. it cost nothing and works fine every time. I removed the collet and gently bent the teeth inward at the bottom with needle-nose pliers. this way the collet tightly grabs the tip of the arm so it won't always get pushed all the way down inside.
next I took a drinking straw (I like to use the clear straws since they are nearly invisible) I cut the straw to about 3/4 of an inch in length then cut long ways and removed about 10% of the diameter.
now when I put the arm tip into the collet I hold the drinking straw insert at the opening of the collet in place, and push the arm down in to where it meets the collet teeth. I allow about a quarter of an inch of the drinking straw above the collet opening so that you can pull the straw out when you want to put the guitar in the case without the arm in place.
the arm is now without loose play, i.e. no rocking inside of the collet. no trouble when I need to remove the arm. FWIW

MRBUGGO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MRBUGGO » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:08 am

My mistake. I meant the above post to be included in the thread regarding the "Opinions on the MIJ Tremolo unit"

benifin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Mastery Bridge in C.I.J Jazzmaster ....... does yours "rock" a bit with the Tremelo (?) *** SOLVED ***

Post by benifin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 pm

*** SOLVED ***

Posting this in case it might help others - in short

(a) - place the JM in front of you with the neck to your left

(b) - loosen the top Allen bolt slightly for each post

(c) - the bridge itself will now be loose'ish

(d) - with your left hand, gently push the bridge itself to the right until it wont go further

(e) - lock the top Allen bolts

DONE and solid and no rocking and no movement !!!

Step (d) is the key - my problem was that in step (d) above I was pushing the bridge to the left / towards the neck and no matter how much I tighted, it remained loose'ish.

Whether this is an issue ONLY for C.I.J JM's I dont know - but I hope it helps others.

Thanks,
Ben