Mastery buzzing after string change

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Wavedash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mastery buzzing after string change

Post by Wavedash » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm

It seems to be the that the circular piece of metal that sits in the hexagonal saddle is loose... this happened to me before after I used the trem heavily a lot as well. Anyone know how to fix? It's weird though sometimes it just goes away on its own. Have heard people use loctite? not sure what to apply it to though and whether it would make changing the setup in the future harder

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery buzzing after string change

Post by timtam » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:40 pm

That's the swivel. It is threaded on the intonation screw, and the saddle can rotate on it to set different intonation string lengths for adjacent strings.

If the swivel is moving on the intonation screw too much you could put a drop of blue loctite on the intonation screw and then screw it back in (it will then cure). If the saddle is moving too freely on the swivel, you could put some loctite into the space between the swivel and the saddle. Check the saddle height screws too.

Blue loctite holds things firm once it cures, but is easy to break if needed.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Wavedash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wavedash » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:47 pm

timtam wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:40 pm
That's the swivel. It is threaded on the intonation screw, and the saddle can rotate on it to set different intonation string lengths for adjacent strings.

If the swivel is moving on the intonation screw too much you could put a drop of blue loctite on the intonation screw and then screw it back in (it will then cure). If the saddle is moving too freely on the swivel, you could put some loctite into the space between the swivel and the saddle. Check the saddle height screws too.

How do I get the intonation screws out? just rotate CCW till they pop out? Doesn't it mean i have to set intonation again for all strings?

EDIT: Actually I somehow fixed the buzzing by just merely taking a pick and inserting it among the intonation springs to drag them towards the tailpiece... don't know how that worked.. but pretty pleased ;D

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Wavedash wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:47 pm
timtam wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:40 pm

How do I get the intonation screws out? just rotate CCW till they pop out? Doesn't it mean i have to set intonation again for all strings?

EDIT: Actually I somehow fixed the buzzing by just merely taking a pick and inserting it among the intonation springs to drag them towards the tailpiece... don't know how that worked.. but pretty pleased ;D
Glad to hear it worked out. Re the loctite on intonation screws (had they been the problem), the idea would have been to back them out only just enough to get a drop off loctite on the right part of the thread. And then wind them back in to where they were (so intonation restored). All offset bridges tend to look like they won't be too hard to unscrew completely. But they're often fiddly little suckers to get back together. So the least you disassemble the better.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.