Favorite refinish shops?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
lammy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Favorite refinish shops?

Post by lammy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi,
Just got a Jag that I am exploring having a matching headstock done for it.
I initially checked out a shop and then read horrendous reviews on it. I don't need any aging or anything, and its a metallic color (its a Johnny Marr Metallic Orange)
Having a hard time finding shops, Id love to hear your experiences!
thanks!

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Favorite refinish shops?

Post by Danley » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:55 pm

When I was seeking to get my G&L F100 refinished (see avatar,) I was recommended Grover Jackson. Though that didn't seem to be a terrible option I ultimately chose DIY and was surprised at the job I was able to do.

You could either find acrylic lacquer (such as Duplicolor True-Match or whatever it's called nowadays) that matches the Johnny Marr finish, or else purchase gold/silver and clear red ReRanch paint and practice on scrap until you got the mix right for the specific tone of CAR/orange as the body. If you have the space, I would highly recommend taking the DIY route vs. paying someone - especially since it's not the whole guitar. Then again - I have trust issues as far as surrendering my stuff to others' work.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Favorite refinish shops?

Post by Telliot » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:40 pm

I was really happy with the work MJT did for me. Mark’s a great communicator, and he wants to be sure you’re satisfied
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.