MIJ Pickguard on CIJ Jaguar?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
SnW
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

MIJ Pickguard on CIJ Jaguar?

Post by SnW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:30 am

Hey there, I'm new to the OSG forums. As a convert to offset guitars and after getting my hands on a Jag I've found these forums really helpful in advice on bridges and setups, so thanks! :)

I've been digging through similar posts regarding sourcing and fitting pickguards for MIJ/CIJ Jaguars, but would really appreciate it if anyone has a better idea about what is going on with the pickguard on this newly acquired Jag...

https://ibb.co/gukSj9

The neck says Q serial number (2002-2004) Crafted in Japan Jaguar, and it appears to have had a replacement black pickguard fitted by the previous owner. The pickguard doesn't seem to quite fit at the neck, slightly overlaps the bottom control plate, gaps one side of the switch plate, misaligned at the bridge thimbles. The bridge thimbles are so misaligned with the holes in the pickguard it looks like the previous owner decided to remove one of the bridge thimbles to get the pickguard to fit! After looking at the differences between the American and Japanese pickguards, as best I can tell, it seems to me that this is a replacement pickguard for a MIJ model (also has a made in japan sticker underneath if that means anything) but as I've read in other posts that MIJ and CIJ pickguards are interchangeable I didn't expect this to have such a bad fit. After fitting a replacement thimble I sanded out the part of the pickguard that overlapped the metal thimble rim to get it to fit as it is, but it would be great to find one that actually fits this model if possible.

I guess the questions I am trying to answer are:

Are the MIJ pickguards that different from the CIJ ones?

If I need to find a CIJ pickguard does anyone know where to source replacement pickguards for CIJ Jaguars (I'm in the UK)?
All the replacement ones I can find in other posts and around the web are for MIJ Jaguars with some saying that they might fit CIJ models too.

Thanks for any help offered!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MIJ Pickguard on CIJ Jaguar?

Post by timtam » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:53 pm

It's very annoying that offset pickguards - jags especially - are such a lottery. Because there was no single design template for the placement of the hardware (and there are so many pickguard-hardware interfaces on a jag). I always assume some modification (fill / move screw holes, file edges) will be necessary unless a new one came off the exact same guitar model. Ideally pickguard suppliers need to publish 1:1 scaled PDFs for the pickguards so you can check before you buy. I only know one or two who do that. Some of the cheapo ebay Chinese suppliers publish un-scaled diagrams with inter-screwhole distances, but those are only somewhat useful.

We need a central repository of scaled PDF pickguard templates for the main classes of offsets.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:32 am

tried this years ago. The MIJ Jag PG does not fit the MIJ and vice versa.... Both have a different teplate. Also when you throw All Parts in the mix it get's even weirder... Best is to find a MIJ replacement guard for yout MIJ Jaguar and CIJ for CIJ... Even AVRI stuff is also differently cut...
As said by Timtam, these are indeed a lottery....
Funny thing however is that on the Jazzmaster there is no problem between the MIJ/CIJ as I swopped these more then once. Apart from one srew hole not lining up exactly...

SnW
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SnW » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:10 am

Thanks for the replies and info. I ordered a 'Pickguard for Japanese Jaguar' from Axesrus here in the UK to test out and it's an even worse fit :D

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Pickguard-Sui ... pg-std.htm

As both ohm-men and timtam have pointed out, these seem to be very much a lottery. This looks as though it's the same MIJ replacement pickguard with the exact same sticker on the back but with another slightly different fit. This one doesn't fit the neck into it at all and the hexaganol switch plate has a massive gap. I've taken a drawn-around template from it in case it can be of use to anyone who wants to test the Japanese replacement one from the link above.

https://ibb.co/bYbJte

There is a seller on ebay with an image pointing out a difference between the MIJ and CIJ pickguards. Apparently the narrowest part of the pickguard between the hexagonal switch panel and the edge is 10mm for a MIJ, and 7mm on a CIJ, but both of the badly fitting replacement pickguards I have are 7mm versions (suggesting they are made to fit CIJ).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-Pickg ... 5-IcRtHtVQ

For now I'm greatful I have one that fits at all ;D

Thanks all