J Mascis tuning issues

For help with setups and other technical issues.
G Rod
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

J Mascis tuning issues

Post by G Rod » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi folks! New to the board here. I just bought a Mascis JM. Loving this guitar so far although I'm having some issues keeping it in tune. I'm aware the stock AOM bridge needs to be replaced (Staytrem, please keep shipping to the USA!) but my question has to do with the vibrato: will replacing this with a locking Fender or Mastery really make that much of an improvement? I've used the guitar for maybe 10 shows in the last couple weeks and have really avoided using the whammy bar. Even still, the guitar goes out of tune after maybe two songs. I'm wondering how much an impact the vibrato unit may be having. Thanks for your tips and my apologies if this has been covere a million times.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: J Mascis tuning issues

Post by oid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:55 pm

If using the trem causes it to go out of tune you most likely have strings binding in the nut slots or on the saddles, both are easy fixes with file and sandpaper, should be maybe $50 to have a luthier take care of it.

Replacing the trem is unlikely to accomplish much unless you have a sickly spring, in which case replacing the spring will help.

Edit: should not have issues with binding on the saddles, AOMs generally to not have this issue, it is most likely the nut.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

soul1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soul1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:28 am

The nut is almost always the prime suspect with tuning issues. I was having issues with my JM, I got a qualified tech to cut me a brand new nut, and it solved the issues.

G Rod
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by G Rod » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks guys. The nut looks good. I've not been using the wang bar so by process of elimination I suspect the vibrato. I've had a couple people suggest replacing the vibrato to help in tuning stability, that's why I posted.