Pickup wire detached

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pickup wire detached

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Hey there!
I recently saw an add for used Fender Pure Vintage 65 Jazzmaster pickups - quite cheap (50€ for the pair, no covers though) - but on one of the pickups the white wire got detached. The windings should be fine though.

I just wanted to be sure about this... I could re-solder it and be done with it, lucky to receive such a cheap set - or do I have to keep something else in mind when buying used pickups before pulling the trigger?

Thank you!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup wire detached

Post by timtam » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Should be fixable with some fine soldering (not too much heat). You don't want the winding to detach from the same terminal. Would want to see pics first. And maybe a resistance measure to ensure that the pickup doesn't have more problems (unlikely ?).

A pair of new ones (with covers) isn't that much more than 50 euro on ebay though. I'd probably want a bigger discount to take a chance on them.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup wire detached

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:34 am

That was also my second thought... ebay/reverb prices for a new set (including covers, with guarantee and send back possibility for ~20-40 bucks more) without any trouble and too short wires...
Looked like a bargain at first but the longer I think about it...
I'd rather give either Jess Loureiro (spain), Q-pickups (croatia) or The Creamery (uk) a try.

Thank you for your reply!