Classic Player Jag Setup Tips?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Classic Player Jag Setup Tips?

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:44 pm

A friend has given me her CP Jag to set up for her - her complaint is that it goes out of tune too easily. She just bought it and it has ancient corroded strings on it, so I think that may be a big factor to be honest. I want to give it a good setup for her though and make it so the tremolo is useable. I'm not used to Adjust-O-Matic tailpieces though - anyone have any tips specific to setting up these guitars or is it more or less like setting up a regular Jag?

Should I advise her to get a Staytrem bridge or no? Thanks.

raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Classic Player Jag Setup Tips?

Post by raindog13 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:38 pm

I would absolutely advise her to get the Staytrem replacement, especially while he's currently making them. It's on and off when they're available and they are right now, so I would highly advise jumping on that.

Otherwise, graphite and/or petroleum jelly on the nut will help along with a string change. Be advised that the petroleum jelly will discolor the nut slightly, but that's it. Don't forget the string tree.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Mostly obvious stuff ...
Definitely new strings. Be sure to use good stringing technique on the tuner posts. Make sure you stretch the strings well (5 minutes). Make sure the nut slots are wide enough for the gauge. Clean the nut slots with wet/dry sandpaper. Any pings then the slots need widening / re-profiling (and string trees checked). Run the sandpaper in the saddle grooves too, just in case it's catching there. If it was me I wouldn't have high hopes for changing the bridge to solve tuning problems. But definitely re-do the intonation, as that could be mistaken for tuning issues.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:42 am

strings for sure. if they are as you describe, the guitar will go out of tune super easy. nut is the next thing you should look at/set up.

I have owned a CP jag and i currently own a CP Jazzmaster and both were/are spot on for tuning stability. I'm sure the staytrem is a nice bridge and a technical upgrade, but i don't think it's nessesary on these guitars if i am being honest.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Cool. Thanks for the help guys. I shimmed the neck and put new strings on it and it's already playing pretty well. I did notice though that the tremolo adjustment screw seems to be working backwards - turning it to the left seems to be tightening the strings and turning it to the right seems to be loosening it... anyone ever experience this before?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 pm
I did notice though that the tremolo adjustment screw seems to be working backwards - turning it to the left seems to be tightening the strings and turning it to the right seems to be loosening it... anyone ever experience this before?
Can't say I've seen that ... but maybe the trem experts can weigh in ... and it's hard to see how it could happen ...

Is the lock off ? With it on, I can see a slight possibility that tightening the screw might tilt things the opposite way ... if the lock became the fulcrum ... but that seems unlikely

May be best to open it up and confirm that tightening the screw moves the plate up as it should.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.