Trem Unit Threads Misaligned after Setup

For help with setups and other technical issues.
eth-n
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Trem Unit Threads Misaligned after Setup

Post by eth-n » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:52 am

Hey guys! Just got an AmPro Jazzmaster about a month ago and loved it, except for the stock bridge with 55mm string spacing. It took like three weeks to get the guitar because the first one was lost in transit, and after waiting a few more weeks for a Mastery bridge I got it set up at a local shop with 11s. I looked it over in the shop when picked it up last night and couldn't see anything wrong with it, and it sounds and plays wonderfully (like, exceptionally) with the new stuff.

The issue is that it looks like the trem wasn't set up right. Somehow the sleeve that the trem bar slips into and the threads that the bar screws down into became misaligned, and someone in the shop must have cranked the bar into it anyways. The thread section is bent on the trem arm and the metal is squished in above the threads on the arm. It screws in about 6 rotations, then there's suddenly a bunch of resistance. I immediately took it out when I felt that. I peered down into the teeny sleeve with a flashlight and fiber optic cable, and the threads are definitely not lined up with the sleeve. It also seems like the spring is a little too tight, so the plate pops sharp when the lock is disengaged, but I know how to fix that, I just don't know whether that'll affect the setup I paid a solid amount for.

Is this "user serviceable" (I'm a setup noob :-[ )? Do I need to get a new trem unit and bar from Fender to fix the thread alignment? Really bummed because the guitar sounds so great with the new bridge and strings and I was so excited to have everything set up right. :'( Thanks for your advice, everyone.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Trem Unit Threads Misaligned after Setup

Post by 601210 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 am

You should be able to find just the collet online, if not the screw in one there'll definitely be pop-in ones floating around.

To be honest it sounds like the tech doesn't really know what he's doing, although some people don't really care about the trem lock working properly. Anyways it's just a matter of loosening the strings and capoing them in place on the first fret, and then you can unscrew the trem plate and take it apart with just a screwdriver. It's really nothing to worry about.

And since you're using a Mastery, there should be no problem adjusting the spring tension since it doesn't rock.