Anti-rocking bushings on American Professional bridge

For help with setups and other technical issues.
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anti-rocking bushings on American Professional bridge

Post by timtam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:05 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed for the first time a few weeks back that the Mustang-style bridge on the American Professional jag and JM has white nylon(?) flanged bushings, that can only be to stop the bridge from rocking. Having seen an Am Pro up close last week, the bushing makes a tight fit between the bridge posts and thimbles. The only way the bridge could move is by compressing the bushings.

When you buy the Am Pro bridge (9.5" radius) as an after-market part, it looks like you don't get the thimbles or bushings ...
http://darrenriley.com/store/fender-ame ... 709942000/
https://www.angela.com/fenderbridgeasse ... aster.aspx

The only place I have seen the bushings for sale is this Japanese site ...
http://astronauts69.com/retrotone/produ ... duct_id=49

Flanged bushings are a common machinery part, so chances are Fender gets them off-the-shelf from somewhere. The bushings would be a better solution than taping the posts, as some people do to stop the bridge moving.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anti-rocking bushings on American Professional bridge

Post by oid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:21 am

I do not think I have ever seen nylon bushings of such a size with thin enough of a wall to fit, but they would be easy to ream out a tad. Cheap and would work well, nice.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Kiso
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kiso » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:06 am

Do you want these bushings or not? Not sure I understand completely. However I have read here on osg that those nylon bushings are just inserted into regular jm thimbles on the AM PRO, so you could just remove them.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 am

I was just pointing out the existence of the bushings, as shown in the pics above. And I guess implying that they might be a useful mod for anyone desiring a non-rocking bridge (instead of wrapping the posts with tape). But also indicating that they may be hard to source. That's all. ;)

AFAIK the American Pro is the only guitar that Fender has put them on.

BTW, to avoid confusion, we are not talking about the dissimilar nylon bushings on the bottom of the bridge posts on the Marr Mustang-style bridge and the Staytrem. Those are designed to stop the bridge from sinking down.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 am

Does anybody know if these bushings work with a Staytrem bridge ?

ek11sx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ek11sx » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:25 pm

pikmin wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 am
Does anybody know if these bushings work with a Staytrem bridge ?
They should. I tried it but went back to no bushings shortly thereafter