pickups pairing

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

pickups pairing

Post by ludobag1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 am

Hi pickups Guru
what is the effect to have 2 pickups with the same magnetic polarity when use all together in the middle selector jazzmaster position ?

a) if they are in phase then no canceling hum ,then need to invert the wire of one pickups
b) it doesn't work well ? some fréquence cancelling ?
c) Don't know ? make you play faster ? :D

i ask cause in fact on my last build i think i have put the wrong polarity for the bridge pickups :fp: ( they Don't attract then same magnetic polarity) and with playing i find my E treble is really softer than the G and B strings when used in the middle position of selector

if someone have an idea on the thing , i have other pups to try but before dismantling and doing some soldering
Thanks

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: pickups pairing

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 am

change done ,invert the bobine to have south to north (or invert don'tknow ) now the pole atract them between bridge and neck pups and the wiring black instead of white ,
no change in sound
still hum cnaceling in the middle
i have try my other jazzy and also they have the E treble more soft too but on this one you re ear it more ;)

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 am

ludobag1 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 am
Hi pickups Guru
what is the effect to have 2 pickups with the same magnetic polarity when use all together in the middle selector jazzmaster position ?

a) if they are in phase then no canceling hum ,then need to invert the wire of one pickups
b) it doesn't work well ? some fréquence cancelling ?
c) Don't know ? make you play faster ? :D

i ask cause in fact on my last build i think i have put the wrong polarity for the bridge pickups :fp: ( they Don't attract then same magnetic polarity) and with playing i find my E treble is really softer than the G and B strings when used in the middle position of selector

if someone have an idea on the thing , i have other pups to try but before dismantling and doing some soldering
Thanks
I suppose you are using a plain g string, right? And the g string is the loudest?
I think this is normal on traditional JM PUs, at least on modern reproductions. It becomes more audible with heavier gauge strings.
The only way I know of to solve this ''problem'' is to stagger the PUs. In your case, to lower the pole under b string a little bit and to lower the pole under the g string even more than under the b string.

There is however a chance to destroy your PUs!

I have had the same problem like you with my AV 65 PUs and have staggered them. I like them a lot now.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 am

Polarities the same, coils the same, higher output and more noise, good dirty fun.
Polarities the same, one coil reversed, hum canceling, frequency canceling out of phase sound, honk honk.
One pickup reversed polarity, coils the same, noise and honk, dirty goose.
One pickup reversed polarity with reversed coil, hum is gone, honk is gone, dirt is gone, cleaner humbucking like sound, sad guitar.

Try a heavier e string, those skinny high e strings can have very low output compared to other strings, some strings just do not play well with some pickups.

Also check your high e saddle and make sure nothing is vibrating, saddle vibration can kill string vibration, killing sound.

Otherwise, is the high e noticeably quieter on all frets or are there loud spots, if so at which frets are there loud spots. IF it gets louder the higher up the neck you play that suggests a saddle issue, loud at both ends and quieter around the 5th-7th fret suggests setup and or fret issues, quieter open but louder fretted suggests nut issues.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.